Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion All-in-one 24-r0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

How can I disable to fn key on the HP Pavilion All-in-one 24-r0xx so I can access F1 thru F12 instead of the actions? I have already tried going into the BIOS to disable the "Action Key" as shown on many other threads, but the BIOS is different for the all-in-ones and there is no option to disable it from there. 

Please help me find a solution to this. I can't work properly on the computer without accessing the function keys!!

Thanks!

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

@lukam1,

Thank you for posting your query in the HP community. A good day to you. I have reviewed the post and will be glad to assist you. Excellent description and a good presentation of the issue.Kudos to you for that. I see you've posted for the first time and let's try to make it a memorable experience for you.

• Did you check the computer's user guide?
  • Please let me know the exact model# of the computer to assist you correctly.

Let's try these steps now:

Please check the computer's user guide from this link: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06087806 and refer to pages 18-20 for further assistance. This should help a great deal.

Good luck and keep me posted about the developments. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue and give the post a Kudos for my efforts to help. Thank you and have a great week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@DavidSMP,

Thanks for getting back to me. Unfortunately, the user's guide doesn't help much. 

Currently in order to action the function keys I need to press "fn" + F1 or F2 etc... What I'm trying to do is to make the function keys on the top of my keyboard as the primary keystroke so I do not have to press the "fn" key.  The "action keys" would then be accessed by pressing the "fn" key plus an action such as "Mute" or "Volume Up".

To further help you my exact Model# HP Pavilion All-in-One - 24-r035xt. I attached an image of my keyboard to assist as well. 

20181028_211744.jpg

Thanks,

Luke

HP Recommended

@gTias,

Thanks for the update and it is great to have you back. Please send a complete screenshot or image of the actual keyboard. There could be a lock symbol on the upper right corner of the keyboard. So pressing the Fn key and the lock symbol should lock the keyboard.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Pressing the FN key and the key with the lock on it in the upper right corner does NOT solve this problem - instead it causes me to be signed out and sent to my lock screen.  I also want my F keys to default to the normal keys ... I don't want to have to press FN + F5 just to refresh!!!  This is so backwards of HP to do this ... Help please?

HP Recommended

I am facing the same issue exactly and I have attempted all the other threads described without success!!! Has there been any response since the latest post below to resolve this issue?

HP Recommended

For some reason when we open the BIOS mode my 24xa0024 doesn't have the option to do that fn key disable. it is really annoying to use fn key every time to do a refresh.

This lazy feature is killing me. Working on Excel is so irritating. people who use keyboard more than mouse its such a no go.

I prefer a Dell as it is way better in this aspect.

HP please let us know if there a way to disable this irritating feature.

Sincerely !!

HP Recommended

@knightraven07

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Please help us with the Laptop name/model number and the Operating System on it.

HP only has fn key disable function option for certain notebooks.

Thanks 🙂

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This is the model I have 24xa0024. It's an all in one computer and the OS is windows X.

HP Recommended

@knightraven07

Thank you for posting back. 

Let's try this:

• Enable or disable fn (function) or action keys mode
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press the f10 key repeatedly to open the BIOS Setup Utility. Press the right or left arrow key to select the System Configuration menu. Press the up or down arrow key to select Action Keys Mode.

Click here: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06366166 to know about function keys. ( refer to Using touch gestures (select products only) page:19 )

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.