Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Slim
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Have new HP Slim desktop and want to transfer programs and data files from old to new computer.  Where do I start?  Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Some items can be easily copied, other cannot.  Best to use network.  On the old computer, select C drive and enable sharing.

On new computer click on START => FILE EXPLORER => THIS COMPUTER => NETWORK => MAP NETWORK DRIVE

for the "new drive" enter \\OldComputerName and browse for the shared C drive name

Drag and drop anything in pictures, documents.  If you drag over video or music you might have to re-authorize apple or napster or prime or where ever you bought the stuff so it works on the new system.

Do NOT copy any apps.  Nothing from "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)" as all applications need to be installed.

You may need license and keys for older stuff or log into online account and deactivate old computer then install on new computer.  

Be aware that some older apps, for example Adobe Acrobat 8 and "x pro" cannot be activated as Adobe disabled activation a few years ago.  

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

@BocaRon 

Once again, you get lots of wording but no directly useful reply ..

Yes you CAN transfer programs -- but you need special software, that you have to BUY, in order to do this.  I have done this numerous times, so I know it works.

The two apps are LapLink PC Mover Pro and EaseUS ToDo PC Transfer.  Both cost money -- about the same -- but I find the second has an easier and better interface than the first.

You have to use one of these apps -- you can not so this manually.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.