Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion P570-p022
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Pavilion P570-p022  Product number Z5M64AA#ABA

Windows 10 Home Version 20H2  OS build 19042.746    Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

I have some DVD's that contain TV programs recorded and finalized on a DVD recorder. I am trying to make a copy of each DVD and failing miserably despite reading how-to articles and watching You Tube videos.

1. I first tried using the free software Ashampoo. The copy seemed to go well and the second to last notification message said the process had completed.The last noticfication message said the copy failed. Using Windows Explorer to review the properties of each DVD I found that each contained the same number of bytes. When I try to play the DVD in the DVD recorder, I don't get the Menu to select which program I want to view although I do get a different screen and am able to play at least the first program. It almost seems like the DVD is not finalized, and the DVD recorder won't finalize it.

2. Then I tried to use Windows Explorer to make the copy following a video I found on You Tube. I copied the source DVD to a folder on the hard drive using Windows Explorer Copy and Paste. When complete, I inserted a blank DVD. I did not get the option to select USB flash drive or DVD. In Explorer I right clicked on the folder on the hard drive and selected "Send To". The DVD drive is not displayed as an option to sent to, although the drive is displayed in Windows Explorer.

Would appreciate any help with these two problems so I don't have to dig out my old Windows 7 PC and use that. Thanks in advance.

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Windows 10 does not natively do well with DVD's playing or copying the files to another DVD.  While the Ashampoo software may do what you want, it really depends on which one was used, they have many.  Tell what the software is called, complete name and where you downloaded it from.

Please explain in more detail about these

1) "I have some DVD's that contain TV programs recorded and finalized on a DVD recorder" - do they actually play on the Windows PC?

2) Using Windows Explorer to review the properties of each DVD - please post a screenshot of the files reported, so I can see what structure is on the DVD.

I'm sure we can get thru this, it is just Windows 10 needs some help.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thanks for your response. I appreciate any help that you can give me.

Update: I used Device Manager to remove the DVD drive and re-booted the PC. The drive does now show when using "Send To" in Windows Explorer. However, I got the same error when trying to copy the DVD with Ashampoo Burning Studio Free, which I downloaded from the Ashampoo web site.

In response to your other questions:

1) Yes, the DVD's that I am trying to copy do play on my PC with Power Media Player, which was preinstalled.

2)

taherte2_0-1611531250063.png

I am willing to purchase software to facilitate copying these DVD's if it will make things easier, but I was overwhelmed when searching what is available and reading reviews. Ashampoo looked easy to use and was recommended in some reviews. If you have a solid recommendation I'm open to that. BTW the software to do this came pre-installed on my Pavilion Windows 7 computer. As far as I can tell, nothing was included on this PC to do this. Thanks again for your help.

HP Recommended

It appears that the image I posted in my reply doesn't display. Here's another attempt.

DVD structure.jpg

HP Recommended

I used Snip & Sketch to make a jpg of the Windows Explorer properties for the DVD and then used the camera icon to insert the image into my response. The contents of the image aren't displayed. What can I do?

HP Recommended

Those files are what I would expect to see from a proper DVD structure.  I do not know why the Ashampoo Burning Studio Free did not do the job.  Assuming the DVD writer can actually write, IDK.  I like ImgBurn to copy and burn.  It just takes very little knowledge to use it.  It will read the old DVD and then write the files to the blank DVD, too.

https://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

I just installed it on my new desktop, downloaded using the MajorGeeks host.

The are guides on how to use it on the ImgBurn site

https://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=guides

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

@taherte2 

I have also used Ashampoo and not run into the problems you are encountering.

I have also used ImgBurn and found it to work well.

There is also CDBurnXP -- which despite the name, still works well on Win10 and is free.  So, if you try that and it fails too, that seems to confirm that there is a problem with the drive.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I dug out the HP USB DVD drive that I bought for use with my HP laptop and tried to copy the DVD with that. I got the exact same results. It says the copy was completed but then says it failed. The DVD seems to be playable in the DVD recorder but doesn't have the menu I'd expect to see to select a program. When I try to play the DVD on my PC with Power Media Player, it doesn't allow me to select which program to view, it just starts with the first one.

Since this is failing with two different DVD drives, could the problem be with the computer or drivers or firmware or is it most likely the application software?

HP Recommended

I suspect it is a combination of Windows 10 not acting like you expect and the software not getting the correct interaction.

You do not mention if you tried ImgBurn or not, so walk me through the steps that you are doing with the Ashampoo software.  If need be, I will download and go thru the process with you.  At each step that you do, document with screenshots or take a picture with your phone and include that with the next post.  The pictures might take a little while to show up for me to see as they need to be approved but you should be able to see them as you post.  

It should not be this difficult, but we will get to the bottom of this.

BTW: since you have made several attempts, you need to use a new blank DVD that is being tried to write to each time, as you cannot write over a failed attempt unless you are using RW DVD's.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

I went through the copy process with Ashampoo again using a different source DVD to make sure it wasn't a problem with the source DVD. Same results. Here are screenshots of what I did:

1. Select "Copy Disc".

Screenshot 1.jpg

2. Insert the source DVD.

Screenshot 2.jpg

3. Click on Next.

Screenshot 3.jpg

4. Ashampoo reads the input DVD. Click on Next.

Screenshot 4.jpg

5. Insert blank DVD.

Screenshot 5.jpg

6. Ashampoo checks disc and says it is okay. Click on "Write DVD".

Screenshot 6.jpg

7. Writing DVD completes. Notice last two messages on the left. Click on OK and then select "An error occurred while recording a CD/DVD/BD".

Screenshot 7.jpg

8. I've checked for updates and tried a different drive.

. Screenshot 8.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.