Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-0067c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was a victim of the F.57 Bad BIOS which causes random freezes whenever the PC would sync the Date and Time function.

I was able (with considerable help from this group) to successfully replace the F.57 BIOS with the previous version, F.55. 

However, now whenever I restart or reboot my PC, a "DOS Type" window opens, before the sign-in screen, saying I NEED to restart in order to install a needed BIOS.  ARGH! 

If I don't click on "Cancel" within a few seconds,  Bad BIOS F.57 is re-installed. UGH!

I don't believe the BIOS update is being re-downloaded, but is a remnant of the process I used to replace BIOS F.57 with F.55. 

(The process I used involved an “APTIO V AMI FIRMWARE UPDATE UTILITY”, which easy for someone at my low level of computer knowledge.)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Windy-Bill

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Windy-Bill 

You are welcome.

Good luck taming the HPSA.

Smiling.

You can always choose to uninstall the HP Support Assistant.

Remember to Restart the computer if / after you uninstall the HPSA application

Check / update manually if / when needed.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community --

People who own, use, and support HP devices.

Click Yes to say Thank You

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Windy-Bill 

Welcome to the HP Community Forum.

Note:

None of the following will help if the rogue update is coming from Windows Updates.

HPSA does not control - or have access to - any updates coming out of Windows Updates.

Perhaps you are running the HP Support Assistant,

If yes,

If you have the HPSA Updates set to "Automatic",

It is possible the HPSA is pulling / offering / trying-to-install a version of the BIOS you do not want on your machine.

The general fix is to shut off Automatic Updates in HPSA

Opinion:  Shutting off "auto-updates" is recommended if your system is no longer receiving regular updates.

Instead, simply open and check Category Software and Drivers on occasion to see if there is anything "new".

OR

At least shut off the ability to offer / update the BIOS .

HPSA_App_Settings_Auto-Updates_6HPSA_App_Settings_Auto-Updates_6

References / Resources

Software and drivers for HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-0067c 

Change Operating System / version as needed

Open All Drivers

Open all

HP Device Home Page - References and Resources

Learn about your Device - Solve Problems

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guide, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

Open

HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-0067c 

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi Dragon-Fur,

I will give your suggestion a try.  I feel like the HP Support App may be checking for updates while I am going through the process of removing the F.57 BIOS and installing the F.55 BIOS. 

Thanks for your suggestion.

Windy-Bill

HP Recommended

@Windy-Bill 

You are welcome.

Good luck taming the HPSA.

Smiling.

You can always choose to uninstall the HP Support Assistant.

Remember to Restart the computer if / after you uninstall the HPSA application

Check / update manually if / when needed.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community --

People who own, use, and support HP devices.

Click Yes to say Thank You

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Dragon-Fur,

Just wanted to let you know that disabling the HP Support Advisor's update feature has stopped the automatic reloading of the bad F.57 BIOS.  I expect that if I use it to check for updates, it will start again, but the method I used to get F.57 replaced with F.55 is so quick and easy, it is not a big deal if it does reload the bad BIOS.

HP Recommended

Click "Start | All Programs | HP | HP Update" to open the HP Software Update window.
Click the "Never" button under "Check for Software Updates on the Web."
Click "OK" to apply the change.

HP Recommended

Hi Johnharper241,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my issue.  You confirmed that a previous response would work, and it did.

Nevertheless, your thoughtfulness is appreciated.

Kindest Regards,

Windy-Bill

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.