Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Stream 11
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

I have a HP Stream 11 that is running Windows 8.1.  My Windows Defender and Anti-Virus are both turned off.  When I go to my Action Center and try to turn them on I get a message saying that they are turned off via GroupPolicy.  How do I get to the GroupPolicy settings to change them and turn on the Windows Defender and Anti-Virus features?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@FURbGUD1 

See if any of this helps:  https://www.isunshare.com/windows-8/3-methods-to-enable-windows-defender-in-windows-8-8.1.html

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I watched the video from the link you provided, and I tried all 4 of the methods it suggested. 

I tried run and after following the instructions and typing in the name gpedit.msc and clicking on  ok,  I got "file can not be found make sure you typed the name correctly"   

I tried command prompt and after typing in gpedit.msc and hitting enter, I got "file not found" 

I tried Search and after entering the name group policy, I got "no results found for your search". 

I tried new, text document, after typing in gpedit.msc, clicking save as, typing in group policy.bat, clicking on all files and save,  I went to my desktop and right clicked on the shortcut group policy and clicked on open, and a black box with white writing, (like you see when you go to command prompt), clicked on and off and on and off but it never opened the local group policy editor so I could not choose the local computer policy  and therefore could not review any of the information or change the defender settings. 

Does any of that make any sense to you?  I am still at a loss.  If you have any further suggestions, I would be most grateful.  I do appreciate your time and suggestions, and I am hoping we can get this resolved. 

Thank you.  

FURbGUD1

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.