FURbGUD1
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

How to turn on Windows Defender via GroupPolicy

HP Recommended
HP Stream 11
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

I have a HP Stream 11 that is running Windows 8.1.  My Windows Defender and Anti-Virus are both turned off.  When I go to my Action Center and try to turn them on I get a message saying that they are turned off via GroupPolicy.  How do I get to the GroupPolicy settings to change them and turn on the Windows Defender and Anti-Virus features?

2 REPLIES 2
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
32,803 32,703 2,976 7,306
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@FURbGUD1 

See if any of this helps:  https://www.isunshare.com/windows-8/3-methods-to-enable-windows-defender-in-windows-8-8.1.html

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
FURbGUD1
Author
3 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I watched the video from the link you provided, and I tried all 4 of the methods it suggested. 

I tried run and after following the instructions and typing in the name gpedit.msc and clicking on  ok,  I got "file can not be found make sure you typed the name correctly"   

I tried command prompt and after typing in gpedit.msc and hitting enter, I got "file not found" 

I tried Search and after entering the name group policy, I got "no results found for your search". 

I tried new, text document, after typing in gpedit.msc, clicking save as, typing in group policy.bat, clicking on all files and save,  I went to my desktop and right clicked on the shortcut group policy and clicked on open, and a black box with white writing, (like you see when you go to command prompt), clicked on and off and on and off but it never opened the local group policy editor so I could not choose the local computer policy  and therefore could not review any of the information or change the defender settings. 

Does any of that make any sense to you?  I am still at a loss.  If you have any further suggestions, I would be most grateful.  I do appreciate your time and suggestions, and I am hoping we can get this resolved. 

Thank you.  

FURbGUD1

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation