Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Action center says my virus protection applications (Windows Defender and Malware Fighter) are off and cannot be switched on. Is this normal?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@old_geekster wrote:

Matt, welcome to the forum.

This is normal for Windows Defender when another antivirus is installed.  It is automatically disabled.  You will have to contact Malware Fighter's Tech Support for help on why their program is not working properly.  They are the experts on their product.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

Thanks for the reply. I sent them a screenshot of the 'action center- installed anti virus applications' so with any luck they will have a solution to the problem. I do get pop-ups telling me that 'harmful cookies have been removed' but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the 'virus protection' element of the package or is just a separate  'malware detection/removal' function.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

This is normal for Windows Defender when another antivirus is installed.  It is automatically disabled.  You will have to contact Malware Fighter's Tech Support for help on why their program is not working properly.  They are the experts on their product.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

@old_geekster wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I sent them a screenshot of the 'action center- installed anti virus applications' so with any luck they will have a solution to the problem. I do get pop-ups telling me that 'harmful cookies have been removed' but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the 'virus protection' element of the package or is just a separate  'malware detection/removal' function.

HP Recommended

It turns out that Malware Fighter in not an anti virus product so I've downloaded Panda AV to run alongside it. I've no idea if this will work but so far they don't seem to be in conflict.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the follow-up.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.