Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm new here. After I had my computer a few weeks  I noticed Drive C, to which I had restored my files is rather small and Drive D (Data) is huge. I assume I was supposed to use drive D. I came here and found what I thought might be a good solution. I had a question however and I can find no way tp post a reply anywhere! So, IAmTom said

"

Solutins would be more helpful. You are correct. LOL. I have two of them. One I did on my own to move files from the C drive to the D data drive. The other I got from an HP tech who I talked to yesterday.

First the HP solution: Go to settings on the computer. Go to systems, then click on "storage". Then choose the option "change where new contect is stored". This will give you options for differenct categories such as "Documents", "Music", "Photos. There will be a drop down menu and you choose "D" drive."

My question is: I know I want to change documents, pictures, music, videos. But should I also change "New apps", or should apps be on drive C? Or does it matter at all?

I'll also have to change Norton Online backup.

Why doesn't HP put a slip of paper in the box so that you know as soon as you set up your computer that you need to put your files on Drive D? It would save customers a lot of hassle!

My last 2 computers came from Dell and were both lemons from the time I unpacked them. The last one took 2 teams to days to get it working and then they left the job unfinished and my brother had to download dozens of drivers. At least it lasted 7 years once it was working, but I said I would never deal with Dell again. But files went on Drive C.

So far, this HP is working.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Since you have not identified your HP PC's product number I can only give generic advice.

You can move all data from the small operating system/boot drive (probably a 128 GB PCIe NVME device) to the larger platter HDD.

I would not try to move program installations or file pointers. Spreading program installations across two disks causes headaches. You now have Windows registry settings on one disk and program files on a second disk. You will have problems if either disk fails.

Windows 10 updates may fail when common file locations such as Documents or other default user defined settings are spread across two storage devices.

You will have to back up and be able to restore both disks using Norton to ensure operating system and data integrity.

Regards

HP Recommended

It's an HP ENVY All-in-One - 27-b214

Thanks, but now I'm more confused than ever! Why did HP install both a C drive and a D drive, if you are never to use the D drive? My previous computers only had a C drive. I'm a senior citizen and not at all knowledgeable about computers. I think they should give people written manuals telling exactly what to do with what, so a person can study everything before setting up the computer. A relative set it up. All I really wanted her to do was get it out of the box and lift it onto the desk, but she took over everything and then played with it for a few hours, changing settings, desktop, etc.

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're very welcome.

Your PC  (Link to your PC's specs) has a small and fast 256 GB NVME drive for the operating system and program installations. It also has a 2 TB HDD for storing data.

You have to move data such as Music, Photos, and other items to the large HDD to free up space on the small SSD.

You can also run Microsoft's Storage Sense to clear out temp files and leftover Windows update junk.

Storage Sense can be found in Settings, System, Storage. Turn this on. Set it to run on a schedule of your choice.

Run Storage Sense now.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.