Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP all in one
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am nervous to do this myself but I just bought a new all in one and need to move files and programs from old one to new computer. After I hook them up with the ethernet cable and I buy PC Mover or Zinstall which computer do I load the PC Mover on to...the old one or the new one? Is this a complicated process or should I have a pro do it? I own a small business and need to get it up and running as soon as possible!  Thank you for any help or suggestions

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@kayfly 

I have done this numerous times and am not aware of any free software that will move applications.  The free stuff only moves settings and data files.

PC Mover comes in various versions, and the last I used it, only the PRO version (paid) moves applications.  The free versions moves only settings and data files.

These products all work the same way:

1) install the product on the SOURCE PC

2) Run the product and select what you want to migrate

3) Use the option to create a file for that migration

4) Copy the file to the TARGET PC

5) Install the product on the TARGET PC

6) Run the product and select what you want to install

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello
it was perhaps not necessary to buy a software, there are free ones, they make one it seems to me, but maybe it is too basic!
you should read the software documentation carefully, from what i have seen it is on both computers!
On the other hand, it is possible that you are obliged to reinstall certain programs, so that they can function correctly, many programs need to be installed from the cd or from the downloaded installation file.
after you see, but it would be a shame to pay someone for that

https://web.laplink.com/fre/help-fre/

that said, the software being purchased, you should have the possibility of being helped by the support directly!

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

@kayfly 

I have done this numerous times and am not aware of any free software that will move applications.  The free stuff only moves settings and data files.

PC Mover comes in various versions, and the last I used it, only the PRO version (paid) moves applications.  The free versions moves only settings and data files.

These products all work the same way:

1) install the product on the SOURCE PC

2) Run the product and select what you want to migrate

3) Use the option to create a file for that migration

4) Copy the file to the TARGET PC

5) Install the product on the TARGET PC

6) Run the product and select what you want to install

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for your expertise. No, I was willing to pay for something but I have not yet. Actually, I called Avast and I have a 5T backup they said they will use to move everything! I don't want to screw it up but your directions are worth trying, thank you so much!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.