Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion a633uk Desktop
Microsoft Windows Vista

Does anyone know if it is possible to upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 (main concern is: will the drivers work ok?) Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

IMHO, I would do a clean install but the upgrade is easier for a novice.  The upgrade would bring along any junk from the old install but a clean install would need to have all the drivers saved on seperate media to be available for the reinstall.  6 of one, half dozen of the other.

BTW: All the Vista drivers are HERE on the support page.  I do not see anything for Windows 7.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

It should not be a problem to upgrade to Windows 7 as Vista drivers typically work for Windows 7, too.  I do not see anything on the support page that would suggest a problem, either.  Do you actually plan on doing an upgrade vs clean install of Windows 7?

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Hi - Thanks for responding so quickly. Thought upgrading would be easier than a clean install (a novice, so thought a clean install may lose all me existing data if I get anything wrong!) - Your advice on which is best and why would be much appreciated.

HP Recommended

IMHO, I would do a clean install but the upgrade is easier for a novice.  The upgrade would bring along any junk from the old install but a clean install would need to have all the drivers saved on seperate media to be available for the reinstall.  6 of one, half dozen of the other.

BTW: All the Vista drivers are HERE on the support page.  I do not see anything for Windows 7.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Thanks - Will probably do the upgrade as I am nervous of getting it wrong. I had already checked to look for Windows 7 where you had kindly placed the hyperlink - Due to there there being no Windows 7 drivers (only Vista), that is what made me ask if anyone thought an upgrade would be ok - Having now looked there yourself, and given your original answer - do you think I am still ok doing the Windows 7 upgrade?

Thanks

HP Recommended

One related question (if you don't mine), I notice that it mentions on the upgrade that I will not have Windows Mail - do you know if I can import my old emails to the Windows 7 version of a similar email programme?

HP Recommended

I did not use windows mail.  I saw numerous people struggle with what to do after Windows Mail.  I use Thunderbird by Mozilla for my email.  HERE IS A GUIDE on switching from Windows Mail to Thunderbird

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.