Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Desktop 590-po066
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I need to reverse or disable the Fn keys. I do not want to hold the Fn key to use F5, etc.

Have already tried every key combination online... None worked, seemed laptop/model specific, or referenced a lock icon my keyboard does not have (the only lock key brings up the lockscreen, fn pressed or not).

Also tried looking in BIOS, but there was only an option for Capslock, and no sign of the Action keys everyone was referencing. The guide here is laptop specific, too, so this is extra frustrating.

Honestly, I was shocked to see the Fn key on a non-laptop at all. Super unnecessary!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@1WhoCares,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query on this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I reviewed your post and understand that you want to disable/reverse the FN key on the keyboard.

I would like to inform you that there is no option to disable/reserve the FN key function on full-size keyboards.

Hope that answers your question and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@1WhoCares,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query on this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I reviewed your post and understand that you want to disable/reverse the FN key on the keyboard.

I would like to inform you that there is no option to disable/reserve the FN key function on full-size keyboards.

Hope that answers your question and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Seriously? That is abyssmal design. 

If it is a "full size" keyboard, an fn key is unnecessary. It exists to save a row of keys on smaller laptops...

This is a laptop keyboard, being shipped with desktops. Shameful.

HP Recommended

@1WhoCares,

It is great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated.

Please let me know the exact model and the product number for the keyboard so that I can do some research.

I await a response at your earliest convenience.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HP Pavilion Desktop 590-p0066

Keyboard is a generic "HP wireless keyboard" that was bundled here:

https://www.staples.com/hp-pavilion-desktop-590-p0066/product_24330670

HP Recommended

@1WhoCares,

It is great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated.

I am sending you a private message suggesting the next course of action.

Please check your private message icon in the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

As per your PM, I contacted support. They immediately said they are "not experts" and referred me to a paid support line.

Not only does HP support apparently have NO abilities to do anything beyond tell us to call someone else, they want to charge me money to tell me the same thing you already have. Rather than update their existing guide to say "this setting not avaliable on desktop" or giving anyone here a straight answer about it.

HP computers are great, but going forward I've now learned that I will need to buy my own peripherals like keyboard & mouse, because the provided ones are awful.

THANK YOU for answering my question at least! I do appreciate that, as disatisfied as I am with the product & customer support.

HP Recommended

@1WhoCares,

It looks like you were interacting with @The_Fossette, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 
I'm the Jeet_Singh & I'm at your service. 

After reviewing your post thoroughly, I see you still have a concern with the keyboard. Don't worry I'll do my best to help you with this.

In this scenario, I will share you a private message with details. Please watch your inbox for more information.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It's very clear to me at this point that there is nothing to be done about it. 
It is a hardware issue that I'm certain HP is aware of, judging by all the similar threads.

Also, sending PMs is not helpful for people who find this thread after Googling the same issue!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.