Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 795-0037 cb
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

How I do I set up my funtion keys where when I want to hit one I don't have to hit fn key  first. Like right now to use F8 I have to hit fn + F8 if I just hit F8 it changes the computers brightness. I want to reverse that where I can just hit F8 and it gives me F8 without hitting another button. I've tried going into BIOS but it does not give me that option to change this like I've seen other places. There is no action keys mode in BIOS on my computer. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@ncs35
Welcome to HP Forums,

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

I see that you're experiencing an issue with brightness key. (Enabling special function keys)

I’d like additional information in order to troubleshoot:

• When was the last time it worked fine?
  • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps?
  • Did this happen after a recent window or software update?

First, Let's try to perform bios default:

• Tap away at the ESC key as you start the notebook to launch the Start-up Menu and then select f10 to enter the bios menu. 
  • Press f9 to load the defaults ( this is sometimes f5, but the menu at the bottom will show the correct key ), use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter. 
  • Press f10 to save the setting and again use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.

Let windows fully load for a few minutes before checking.

Try updating the BIOS driver and hotkey support driver using the following link:

Click here: BIOS Update

Click here: HP System Event Utility

Enable action key mode:

Change the action key setting from the BIOS Setup Utility.

1. Press and hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press the f10 key repeatedly to open the BIOS Setup Utility.

3. Press the right or left arrow key to select the System Configuration menu.

4. Press the up or down arrow key to select Action Keys Mode.

5. Press the Enter key to display the Enabled / Disabled menu.

BIOS setup window with the System Configuration option and Action Keys Mode selected

6. Press the up or down arrow key to select one of the options.

• Enabled: Does not require pressing fn to use the actions printed on the function keys.

For example, pressing f8 lowers the sound as printed on the key. Alternately, pressing both the fn + f8 minimizes and maximizes a web browser.

• Disabled: Requires pressing fn to use the actions printed on the function keys.

For example, pressing f1 opens a help window. Alternately, pressing both the fn + f1 keys puts the computer to sleep as printed on the key.

7. Press the f10 key to save the selection and restart the computer.

Keep me posted for further assistance!

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below,
Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,
Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.