Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ElitDesk 800 G5 SFF/ProDesk 600 G5 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey HP Forums,

As of the last week, our users are getting the following popup at random. After looking in task manager, it is HPUpdate.exe attempting to run in the background. 

Things I have tried:

- Applying all updates from HP Support Assistant using an admin account

- Giving PCName/Users full access in Windows security options for HPUpdate.exe

- Disabling notifications for HP Support Assistant

Any ideas?

Hunter

Screenshot 2021-07-13 105323.png

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

There is another question from here too but for laptops (just for future reference) https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/quot-Please-run-as-administrato...

Apparently HP haven't given any answer yet and can't find any solution apart from removing HP Support Assistant, which is definitely not ideal.

HP Recommended

What I am doing momentarily for a bandaid fix is renaming "C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP Support Framework\Resources\HPUpdate\HPUpdate.exe" to OLDHPUpdate.exe. Seems to work for now to at least remove the popup.

HP Recommended

Thanks Hunter.

I have done the same and HP Support Assistant still works. It looks like after the HP Support Assistant upgrade the hpudpate.exe is no longer necessary? Might be  leftover from old config? Because even renaming it everything looks as planned.

HP Recommended

I also tried the same thing, but removing or remaining that hpupdate.exe file will not allow future updates to actually install and eventually the HP support tool appears to repair itself and the pop-up issue resumes. I'm also disabling automatic updates from the HP Support assistant in an effort to minimize the pop-up. 

I haven't found a real solution but even if I downgrade to the older version which is known to be working, the tool updates itself and resumes it's pop-ups a few days later. 

HP Recommended

I called HP phone support today and have been told HP Support Assistant is not recommended to Business Environment and we should use HP Image Assistant. Has anybody else tried  to talk to them to confirm this? Also, it was recommended to let the user with admin privileges on the machine (again, not a chance in a corporate network when many securities are applied).

I went checking Hp Support Assistant website checked FAQ and found the following info under Download and install HP Support Assistant.

NOTE: 

If you are looking for a tool to download software updates for an HP business PC, go to Using Hp SoftPag Download Manager. Clicking on the url it redirects to a page showing the software is retired and replaced by HP Image Assistant

HP Recommended

If support assistant isn't recommended then why on Earth do they pre-install it on their OEM machines? Come on HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.