Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Stream Laptop 11-y0XX

From the first day of its purchase, this little HP Stream laptop was being remotely spied upon--movements, emails and documents.  

The restore point feature in Windows 10 was malfunctioning and unavailable. My assumption of installed malware led me to want to do a recovery--I could not solve this problem.

I discovered from hearsay and circumstantial evidence that someone close by was using wireless means to read my computer whenever I used it.  I complained several times to my state's Attorney General Office for Computer Crimes, but could not provide a suspect.

This state of affairs has continued for the life of this Stream--over two years. It is not being remotely accessed by any agency of local government or a Federal agency.  I am mystified.

I have not been able to identify or locate any malware on my computer.  I do not know how someone gained access to it to install malware in the first place.

I am angry as you can see!  I cannot afford to strip this down to factory and start over. I cannot afford to buy a new computer. This is my first HP purchase. It seems to have been compromised from day one--from the factory.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@marykhazak11 

What OS version are you using on this, Win10?

You do KNOW that Microsoft routinely monitors stuff you do on Win10, right?

There are settings that are ENABLED by default that allow them to do that, including capturing any audio recorded by an internal microphone.  How do you think "Cortana" is able to respond to voice commands unless "she" is listening all the time?

This is NOT HP's doing -- this is Microsoft at work.

You can stop SOME of this by following the directions in this thread:  https://thegeekpage.com/disable-spying-and-telemetry-windows-10/

NOTE: I have ALL the stuff turned off, so I don't worry about being "monitored".

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@marykhazak11 

What OS version are you using on this, Win10?

You do KNOW that Microsoft routinely monitors stuff you do on Win10, right?

There are settings that are ENABLED by default that allow them to do that, including capturing any audio recorded by an internal microphone.  How do you think "Cortana" is able to respond to voice commands unless "she" is listening all the time?

This is NOT HP's doing -- this is Microsoft at work.

You can stop SOME of this by following the directions in this thread:  https://thegeekpage.com/disable-spying-and-telemetry-windows-10/

NOTE: I have ALL the stuff turned off, so I don't worry about being "monitored".

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks, so much! I feel on top of things right now, in control, and having privacy, relatively speaking.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.