Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion 690-0051na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have just purchased a desktop with a 256GB SSD and 2TB HDD, following initial setup and windows updates etc I am trying to sort out storage locations and OneDrive.

I am trying to store all data on the HDD 'D', documents, pictures, music etc leaving the SSD 'C' for the operating system and program files. I also want to set up OneDrive and have run through the initial OneDrive set up and have the default desktop, documents and pictures saving to OneDrive. The OneDrive folder is on the SSD so I would like to move this to the HDD too.

I have researched different options but I am confused about the best setup method to use and the order to carry out the changes.

I have looked at changing the default storage locations (apps, documents, music, photos, films, offline maps) under settings/storage/change where new content is saved but not sure if this is the best option. I have also looked at changing the locations of the user folders to the HDD in File Explorer by right clicking the folder and selecting properties/location and changing to the HDD drive 'D'. I am unsure of how this will affect the OneDrive setup.

Can anyone suggest the best method of achieving my aim and the correct order to follow.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@brify,

What do you think "One Drive" actually is?   It is a fee based storage on Microsoft servers.

Yes, you can do the "settings" to reassign folder locations.

Don't do this -- "I have also looked at changing the locations of the user folders to the HDD in File Explorer by right clicking the folder and selecting properties/location and changing to the HDD drive 'D:.  You can not undue / reverse that decision.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.

To confirm, this is a new pc and I have not moved over any data from my old pc yet, I want to get the setup right first.

I am aware what OneDrive is for and I have 1TB Storage through 365, ultimately I want to use this to back up files and allow access to files from different devices etc. The OneDrive folder currently sits on my SSD and as I have already enabled 'camera upload' on my iOS devices it will be filling up. I do want to move the OneDrive folder to the HDD to save space on the SSD, the following shows me how to do this:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/change-the-location-of-your-onedrive-folder-f386fb81-1461-4...

As I currently have OneDrive backing up Desktop, Documents and Pictures the file path location under the associated folders in 'this pc' are as follows C:\Users\username\OneDrive, if I turn off the backup as expected they return to C:\Users\username\Documents (Pictures etc).

My question re this is when to move the OneDrive folder as I also want to relocate the storage locations for Documents, Pictures, Music etc to my HDD, do I move these first before the OneDrive folder? When do I unlink the pc, as in the guide above.

In relation to moving the user folders from the SSD to HDD I appreciate I should not move the entire user profile but only the sub folders, Documents, Pictures etc. Some guides suggest creating a new sub folder in the new location (D:, HDD) first where others just move the location, which is the best method see below:

Create Folders First

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-move-default-user-folders-new-drive-windows-10

Just Move

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/moving-your-personal-data-folders-in-windows-vista-the...

The last query is what is the difference between changing the default storage location in Settings-System-Storage-change where new content is saved as per this link:

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/change-default-save-location-windows-10/

and using the methods above?. You mentioned this can be done, I changed the default location for Documents to D; and it created a folder D:\username\Documents but the location of the documents folder in 'this pc' has stayed the same, on the C; drive.

Thanks

In relation to 

HP Recommended

@brify,

As I do not use One Drive, I am not able to assist with that software.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

@Wb2001, thanks

is anyone else able to offer assistance with the desired setup outlined above, thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.