Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy Phoenix h9-1420t
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Computer Model: HP Envy Phoenix h9-1420t

HP Support Assistant

Version: 8.3.27.17

Framework: 12.5.26.37

Since upgrading to the latest version of Support Assistant, I am unable to check for updates. The program successfully completes the first step "connecting to HP servers," but then fails (shows gray x-mark instead of green checkmark) to complete the remaining steps:

• Downloading messages and updates definition
  • Gathering configuration information
  • Analyzing your system
  • Preparing the action list

Any suggestions on getting this to work?

Steps I've tried: uninstalling with Revouninstaller, reinstalling, rebooting

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@troubleshoot411, welcome to the forum.

I agree with using Revo.  It is my go to app for malware.  When you used Revo, did you use the Advanced option?  This will not only remove the program from the HDD, but it removes any remnants from the BIOS.  If not, this could be the problem.  I suggest trying the Advanced option to remove HPSA and shut down the computer.  Then, boot and reinstall HPSA from here.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@troubleshoot411, welcome to the forum.

I agree with using Revo.  It is my go to app for malware.  When you used Revo, did you use the Advanced option?  This will not only remove the program from the HDD, but it removes any remnants from the BIOS.  If not, this could be the problem.  I suggest trying the Advanced option to remove HPSA and shut down the computer.  Then, boot and reinstall HPSA from here.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Thanks, Geekster! This worked like a charm. I previously used Moderate mode. Using Advanced mode on Revo resolved the issue.

:womanhappy:

HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @troubleshoot411.  I have used Revo for years with great results.  I am glad that it helped you, also.  Shutting the computer down after the uninstall is always a good Idea.  A cold boot clears the system.

HP Recommended

Hi, tried doing the uninstall through Revo and did an advanced uninstall twice with no success. The laptop was restarted both after uninstalling and re-installing HPSA but did not work still. I uninstalled everything but the framework, any suggestions please?

HP Recommended

@Guyster, welcome to the forum.

It would be better if you start your own thread in the Notebook section of the Fourms.  Once a reply is given, none of the other members will look at it.

Please furnisht the model of the Notebook and the OS that you are using.

HP Recommended

Exactly same problem.  Support Assistant stopped working after Windows10 anniversery update.  Worked fine before on my Probook 650 then after Aug2016 windows update it xed out all the steps after connecting to HP server.  Several tries at Windows uninstall, reboot, reinstall SA over a couple of weeks didn't fix.  So I tried Revo uninstall solution recommended here.  The advanced option is a little scary as it removed several hundred registry entries.  But after reinstalling it now works again!

HP Recommended

I do not believe it........ Just tried exactly as before and this time it works!!!!!! Thank you for all the contributions.

HP Recommended

I have an HP M6-K022dx Envy Sleekbook running Windows 10 Anniversary Edition Ver. 1607. After updating to this version of Windows 10 I also updated my HPSA and ran into the same issue as other people. Assistant would connect to server and get a check mark then all the x's popped up and HPSA would not get messages or anything else. I uninstalled then rebooted and installed the  latest version of HPSA and it did the same thing. I used Revo and checked Advance mode and rebooted then reinstalled HPSA...The Assistant ran on the first line and then I got x's for the rest. I used Revo again and  I went into the Recovery and reinstalled the original version of HPSA and updated to 7.4.454. So far that's the only version that works with this Windows 10 version. Any help would be appreciated!

HP Recommended

After going through the process I am now running HPSA version 8.3.34.7 successfully on my HP Probook 650.  I note that when I first got HPSA working after going through the process with Revo it downloaded a new Qualcomm Atheros QCA9000 wireless driver.  My wireless connection had become increasingly flakey since the windows anniversery update and this fixed the stability problem.  I note that if I run windows update it replaces the wireless driver and I have to run HPSA again to reinstall the HP recommended version of the driver.  I am wondering if the problem with HPSA not working was related to wireless drivers  - I never tried it with the ethernet cable plugged in when I was having problems.  If you are connecting wireless that is something you might explore.

@BaltoSid wrote:

I have an HP M6-K022dx Envy Sleekbook running Windows 10 Anniversary Edition Ver. 1607. After updating to this version of Windows 10 I also updated my HPSA and ran into the same issue as other people. Assistant would connect to server and get a check mark then all the x's popped up and HPSA would not get messages or anything else. I uninstalled then rebooted and installed the  latest version of HPSA and it did the same thing. I used Revo and checked Advance mode and rebooted then reinstalled HPSA...The Assistant ran on the first line and then I got x's for the rest. I used Revo again and  I went into the Recovery and reinstalled the original version of HPSA and updated to 7.4.454. So far that's the only version that works with this Windows 10 version. Any help would be appreciated!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.