Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
EliteBook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Has anyone found a path to upgrade the TPM for the early mobile workstations.  Windows 10 (and 11) requires TPM 2.0 and while later systems have available Firmware upgrades, the early models do not.   

I really do not need a touchscreen, and other than that these old dinosaurs are perfectly functional and have all the needed interfaces.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

In order to upgrade to W11, your notebook has to also support UEFI and secure boot.

Your notebook's processor would also not qualify to run W11 if it only has a TPM 1.2 chip.

If your notebook supports UEFI and secure boot...

You should be able to force the upgrade like this...

First make this registry change...

https://www.hellpc.net/how-to-bypass-tpm-and-cpu-requirements-windows-11-upgrade-unsupported-pc/

Then download the Windows 11 ISO file (3rd option), not the W11 installation assistant.

Download Windows 11 (microsoft.com)

Then open the file with Windows explorer, and click on the setup application.

To do that, right click on the ISO file and select 'Open With' and select Windows Explorer.

See the screenshot...this is what you will see when you open the file with Windows Explorer.

Paul_Tikkanen_0-1634679043736.png

After you double click to run the setup application, you will get this window, and you can now upgrade to W11.

Paul_Tikkanen_1-1634679043598.png

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

In order to upgrade to W11, your notebook has to also support UEFI and secure boot.

Your notebook's processor would also not qualify to run W11 if it only has a TPM 1.2 chip.

If your notebook supports UEFI and secure boot...

You should be able to force the upgrade like this...

First make this registry change...

https://www.hellpc.net/how-to-bypass-tpm-and-cpu-requirements-windows-11-upgrade-unsupported-pc/

Then download the Windows 11 ISO file (3rd option), not the W11 installation assistant.

Download Windows 11 (microsoft.com)

Then open the file with Windows explorer, and click on the setup application.

To do that, right click on the ISO file and select 'Open With' and select Windows Explorer.

See the screenshot...this is what you will see when you open the file with Windows Explorer.

Paul_Tikkanen_0-1634679043736.png

After you double click to run the setup application, you will get this window, and you can now upgrade to W11.

Paul_Tikkanen_1-1634679043598.png

HP Recommended

You specified that I also need secure boot and UEFI. The 8760w has a UEFI that can be enabled, but is not claimed to be supported by HP.   Is the secure boot mentioned also a BIOS feature or is it a feature of the CPU or Chipset?  It looks like the QM67 may support one version of the i7-3612 family which is/was available in the 988 form factor also. 

Thanks

- - Scott 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The 8760w does not support secure boot.

There would be a secure boot setting in the BIOS if it did.

I believe the 8770w and newer models support secure boot.

Unfortunately, I do not believe the method I gave you will allow you to easily upgrade to W11 on a 8760w.

You would have to clean install W11.  There are several ways to do this.

You can try this method which seems to be pretty easy provided it works.

How to Clean Install Windows 11 on Unsupported PC - HELLPC

The part that bothers me is it does not mention anything about the processor not being supported.

Otherwise you will have to cobble together a hybrid W11 installer by following the guidance at the link below.

Method 3, but you can download the W11 ISO file from the link I posted above.  That was not available at the time this article was written.

How to install Windows 11 on almost any unsupported PC (xda-developers.com)

HP Recommended

Paul -

Your initial reply was quite thorough and helpful. I managed to take my HP Zbook 17 G3 to windows 11 before I found a  softpaq  to update the TPM to 2.0.   HP SP87753   provides tools to update both 32 and 64 bit systems TPM to 2.0 and I believe it goes all the way back to the 8770.  I am still using a non-supported processor, the 6820HQ. 

I managed to find a couple of 8770 motherboards and they seem to be a fit for the 8760 frame. 

I expect I will have issues doing initial setup on otherwise new boards.  New things to learn 🙂 

HP Recommended

The 8770 Motherboards do not seem to have a more recent TPM chip in them, I am seeing the same ACPI\VEN_IFX&DEV_0102

on my  176C Motherboard as on the 1630 Motherboard.   The TPMConfig64.exe program exits with an incompatible chip message. 

HP Recommended

Here is a new and easy way to upgrade any PC currently running W10 to W11.

I would make a system image of your current W10 installation prior to updating to W11, so you can easily reinstall W10 in the future.  I used the free Macrium Reflect software to do that, under the Backup at Home section. 

Along with the system image, make sure you create the bootable DVD or USB rescue drive you boot from to access the system image stored on your portable hard drive.

Macrium Software | Reflect Free Edition

Read and follow the easy instructions at the link below.

Windows 11 Upgrade Hack on Any Hardware | Dong Knows Tech

No registry changes needed.  No need to create installation media.  Just download the W11 ISO file, and the guy's zip file.

I used this procedure yesterday to do an in-place upgrade an old HP Elitebook 6930p notebook made in 2010 to W11, and I was able to keep my old Office 2010 Starter program that came with the notebook when it had W7 on it, along with all of my other programs files and settings.

The notebook met none of the enhanced W11 hardware requirements.

That is the 9th unsupported W11 PC I have upgraded to W11, and not one of them have had any issues whatsoever.

They have all gotten all the Windows 11 updates released thus far.

I check those against a PC I have that is fully supported to run W11.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.