Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi,

Sorry in advance if a dumb question. When I unpacked and booted up my new 2TB HP Envy Curved 34 All-in-one, there were typical folder options listed in the C drive. Therefore, as I transferred data from my old rig to this one, I moved them into the corresponding folders. As the C drive is now almost completely filled with my files, it appears (I think) that the folders are listed incorrectly under the SSD and not under the hard drive.  Don't know why the computer would come arranged in such a manner, but do I need to just copy and paste ALL of  those folders to the very capacious D drive, thus emptying the C drive?

Thanks!

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi,

Welcome to HP Support Forum. Sorry I don't know what is your HP Envy Curved 34  (Must be HP Envy Curved 34-something)  but I think your machine has 2 physical drives: 1 small capacity SSD (C:) and one 2TB normal HDD (D:)

1. C: is very fast, which is for Operating Systems and other programs/applications. You only need around 128GB or 256GB. One of my test machines has 128GB SSD and after 4 years it still has over 30% free space.
  2. 😧 is huge and you can keep it to store data/files (musics, videos .....)

Now, back to your situation, I believe you copied data/files from your old computer to C: that why it is full now. Please MOVE them  (only folers from your old computer) from C: to 😧 using cut and paste to free up C: .

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

🙂   HP HP Envy 34 All-in-one b025xt !  w/16 GB memory; 2 TB HDD storage; 256 GB SSD storage.

Before I ruin the system, I should leave the original (empty) folders on the C: drive which were present when I bought the machine?

Drive C Pre-existing Folders Example.PNG

And then create duplicates of these folders on the 😧 drive and then cut and paste ONLY the contents of the folders above (and the not the folders themselves) into the duplicates on the 😧 drive?  At the end of this, I will have identical folders on both the C and D drives, but only the folders on the D drive will have data?

Is that accurate?

Thanks!!!!!!!

HP Recommended

Hi,

I can see its specs now:

http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-envy-curved-all-in-one---34-b025xt

It does have C: 256GB and 😧 2TB. You can move data/files from your old computer to 😧 and do not move anything from C: to 😧

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

OK. Let me give this a whirl  and see what happens!! Any other control panel item that I need to toggle to make sure stuff is being saved in the 😧 directories from this point forward?

HP Recommended

Hi,

You can split screen and put C: on one side, 😧 on one side than you can see both. You don't need other software. But if you wish, please try

http://www.ilovefreesoftware.com/07/featured/windows-explorer-alternatives-for-windows-10.html

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

is there any reason why we shouldnt move files from the C to D drive? 

i have done the same.

filled a 128g thumb drive from my old laptop and copied to the C drive on new laptop.... so now i need to move some of these files from C to D.... can i do this or not?

thanks

HP Recommended

also, the documents folder is on the C drive....

can my documents folder be on the D drive?! they need to be named differently.?

HP Recommended

@Curvy34

Go to the W10 system settings --->Storage ---> change where new content is saved. You will find that you can change where to save files on your PC (the D drive as an example). You are basically changing the default save location. Files that already exist on the C drive will have to be moved manually.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Yes what @Big_Dave  said.

Essentially, you can save a lot of space on your C drive by moving all of your basic default folder locations (Documents, Photos, Music, etc ) from the C drive to the other hard drive.

This way, as you save a file to the systems Documents folder, it will automatically save to the 2 TB hard drive instead.

BUT, I have had problems in the past with using the Windows 10 System>Storage>Change where new content is saved settings. Using that route sometimes wont take.

IF this happens to you, there is another way to change the default location.

• Go to your secondary (storage) hard drive and create new folders with the same names as the ones you are going to move (Documents, Photos, etc ).
  • Go to This PC to view your basic folders.
  • Right click on Documents and choose Properties.
  • Select the Location tab.
  • Click on the Move... button.
  • Navigate to the new Document folder you created on the other drive and select it.
  • The window will close and you can click Apply on the Location tab.
  • A pop up will ask if you want to move all the contents of the old location to the new location. Click on Yes to do so.

Do this for the rest of the folders. This can be applied to Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos.

If you want to add files from another computer to those folders, you can certainly do so.

Hope this helps.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.