Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Old School Desktop
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

A request for assistance
Product: HP Pavilion p6601f Desktop
Prod #: BM417AA#ABA
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 635 Processor 2.90 GHz
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit) and/or Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)

Hello everyone, I have an old desktop (p6601f) on which I want to update the BIOS to be able to boot from a USB drive--it still has floppy in the boot list.

Current Board and BIOS is listed as:
Board: FOXCONN 2AB1 (1.00)
BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. 6.04, 9/7/2010

But I can't find the file I need to flash the BIOS -
Description: Foxconn 2AB1 Motherboard BIOS Update
V6.07 Rev. A released 09/23/11, I think???

I found HP files, but not sure which is the correct one with file names along the lines of "sp54501-55000/sp54784.exe" for example (that's not it). There are literally tens of thousands of them, but no way for me to know which of them is "THE ONE" I need...at least not within my lifetime!  🙂

A link to the file I need would be excellent.

I know p6601f is ancient in the computer world, but it's the best I have for now. And having recently upgraded it from Win7 to Win10 (sort of), it works for my needs for the most part. I have added a hard drive and a 2GB memory chip. Now I just need it to be able to boot from a USB drive, where my copy of Win 10 is if I need it for repairs, and I'm set.

I have already tried AMI and FOXCONN to no avail as this model has long been not supported anymore, and also have seen on here that it is not recommended to go to the motherboard's website for BIOS updates.

Please, unless you are 100% sure of your answer and have done this before, please do not respond. Thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.