Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion 590
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

No reaction at all when I plugged the keyboard

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Its a PS/2 keyboard so you used one of these?

71N4MzMeEdL._SL1500_

Couple things: 1. PS/2 keyboard has to be in place when the computer turns on or it will not work. Not plug and play even through a usb adapter. PS/2 dates back to the dawn of computers and works at a very primitive level. 2. Some PS/2 keyboards are not made to be used with a usb adapter. If the keyboard did not originally come with one it might not be compatible although we usually see that only with very old PS/2 keyboards from the days before there were USB ports. 

Sometimes you have to get a more elaborate larger device called a usb to PS/2 signal converter. 

HP Recommended

@Ka-Mo

In would personally recommend that you consider simply getting a new USB-wired keyboard.

You don't have to spend $50-$70 USD to get one of the fancier models; instead, one of the $10 USD models will give you everything you need -- and will work without isses.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you very much for the answer, that popped in  just a couple of hours after I sent  my question from Norway!!  Marvelous!

Yes, I used one of these (picture). I have just bougt a new desktop, and with it there also followed a brand new keyboard (which I use at the moment for writing this letter).

So that's not the problem. The problem is my curiosity, and the fact that I liked the old one better. This is a HP "Enhanced Multimedia PS/2 Keyboard with driver version 1.0.7.1.9-7-2006. My old PC was also a HP Pavillion which I bought at 2008, I think. I would not say this is from the "dawn of computers." I thaught it might be a question of the right driver to make it work, but accept of course, that it really is a question of a more complex technology. ..

HP Recommended

The point was that the PS/2 connection, not your specific keyboard, is from the dawn of computers so the method by which it communicates with the system is at a more primitive level than more modern hardware. I even have a couple AT connector keyboards around, even older. 

There is actually quite the cult following for old-school "clicky" keyboards and if you really want to use that keyboard it can be done but you can't just give up if its not immediately plug and play. 

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/11/why-i-use-a-20-year-old-ibm-model-m-keyboard/

HP Recommended

Hi, and thanks again.

My old keyboard followed my former desktop, bought some 10 years ago. This had several USB-ports and a PS/2 port for the keyboard. 

I followed the link and read the article about the use of old IBM keyboards. It was interesting (and charming in my view) but it told nothing about how to make the old keyboard work togehter with the new hardware.

And another thing: Why do they produce adapters (PS/2-USB) like the one on your picture, if this don't work at all. I'm a true amateur, and just wonder..

HP Recommended

The answer is mostly they work. Did you try try turning the computer off and starting it with the PS/2 keyboard connected? Also try some different ports. Might not work with USB 3.0 for example. 

Here are saome other suggestions:

https://superuser.com/questions/996001/do-ps2-keyboards-work-on-windows-10

HP Recommended

Hi again

No chanse, it won't work. I have read the troubleshooting suggestions and tried some of them. No reaction. And I'm a little afraid I will mess up my new and well working system if I go on too hard rejecting progress and new technologies. It feels bad to put my old and beloved keyboard into the trashbox, but that's the way it is...

Thank you anyway that you used your time trying to help an old amateur from Norway.

HP Recommended

Anytime. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.