Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Desktop - 795-0040qd CTO
Microsoft Windows 11

I went to  use my desktop optical DVD drive to discover that the Windows File Explorer doesn't show it.  My BIOS and the Device Manager show my DVD drive.  I suspect that a Windows Update screwed up the drivers to my DVD drive and although the drive is recognized in the BIOS and Device Manager, it is unusable because Windows doesn't recognize the drive in the File Explorer, as well as all other software programs not recognizing the drive either.  I've spent hours implementing HP's solutions, yet the drive is still not in the Windows File Explorer.  Is there a fix coming in Windows Update to resolve this problem?  I have no clue which update created this problem.  The DVD drive on my HP Envy Laptop works fine and wasn't killed by a Windows Update.  Thanks for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Through further research, I discovered that an unknown past Windows 11 Professional Update caused my Optical DVD Drive on my HP Envy Desktop to take it out of the File Explorer, where I had to check SHOW ALL FOLDERS in the NAVIGATION PANE settings in the File Explorer Options, even though my HP Envy Laptop with Windows 11 Professional installed showed my Optical DVD Drive without SHOW ALL FOLDERS being checked, which I checked anyway to match the settings on my desktop.  The DVD App that I was using suddenly stopped recognizing the Optical DVD Drive on my desktop, which I replaced with a new DVD App, Any DVD, which is a superior DVD and Blu-Ray Player.  Thanks for your help.   

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

hi

try this ?

CD/DVD drive is not detected (Windows 10)

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-desktop-pc-795-0000i/19390486/model/28868453/troublesho...

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Through further research, I discovered that an unknown past Windows 11 Professional Update caused my Optical DVD Drive on my HP Envy Desktop to take it out of the File Explorer, where I had to check SHOW ALL FOLDERS in the NAVIGATION PANE settings in the File Explorer Options, even though my HP Envy Laptop with Windows 11 Professional installed showed my Optical DVD Drive without SHOW ALL FOLDERS being checked, which I checked anyway to match the settings on my desktop.  The DVD App that I was using suddenly stopped recognizing the Optical DVD Drive on my desktop, which I replaced with a new DVD App, Any DVD, which is a superior DVD and Blu-Ray Player.  Thanks for your help.   

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.