Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq dx2450 Microtower
Microsoft Windows Vista

Hello, I was asked to recycle an old HP Compaq dx2450 Microtower, which I removed from its case and turned into a linux machine.  The COA sticker for Windows Vista was pretty much not legible, all I could read was "Windows Vista".  The original hard drive failed shortly after opening the pc before I had a chance to back it up.  The drive has long since been scrapped.  It's not a huge concern, but I would like to know if it is possible to retrieve a Windows Vista product key using the computer's serial number, which I still have. I would use the Windows Vista OS for VM or similar use, as I like to mess with old stuff.  TL;DR: I have an old HP that used to run Vista, lost the COA and HDD, and want to recover the Vista key for other uses.  Anything I can do?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello
sorry, if your product key is no longer readable, you will not be able to recover it
See, if you can't find one on the net!
There are only activation keys for some Windows versions, you just need to have the installation support.
Unfortunately it seems to me that this does not always work, some may resell keys that do not work!

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

@NERDBUG96 -- Anything I can do?

Search on eBay or Amazon or Facebook Marketplace for a "retail" copy of Windows Vista, with DVD & product-key included.

If you no longer have the product-key, and you cannot extract the product-key from the disk-drive,  there are no options that are allowed to be stated here, under this forum's "Rules of Participation".

I have an old HP that used to run Vista, lost the COA and HDD

For some models, HP offers a downloadable copy of the original operating system.

For some models, HP will ship you a copy of the original "factory-installed" operating system.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.