Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Desktop PC TP01-2000i (1K4B7AV)

I have an HP Pavilion Desktop, and I've been trying to install Linux in a triple-boot configuration.  After several unsuccessful attempts, I want to wipe the machine completely, starting with an empty partition table, and start over.  Does HP install anything essential on the hard drive, such as license information, that cannot be recovered or reconstructed?  I'm not worried about stuff like McAfee Antivirus, and I know how to reinstall Windows.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only licenses you would lose is for Microsoft Office or any programs you installed where you had to enter a product key.

The Windows product key is in your PC's BIOS, not on the hard drive.

You don't need it to reinstall Windows.

See if your PC is supported by the HP cloud recovery tool which you can use to make a bootable USB recovery drive using a PC running W7 64 bit or newer that will install Windows, the drivers and the software that should have originally come with the PC.

If you have Windows working on your PC now you can use the tool on the PC that needs to be recovered to create the recovery media.

Here is an info link for how to use the utility.  You will also need a 32 GB USB flash drive to create the recovery media with.

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool in Windows 11 and 10 | HP® Customer Support

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.