Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP z240
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Using:  HP z240 . . . Win 10 64-bit

BIOS Version/Date . . . HP N51 Ver. 01.54, 03/16/17

With this BIOS setting, why isn't NumLock enabled / "On" when it gets to the Login screen?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

How do I get to the BIOS? . . . Win 10 64-bit

Settings, or PC settings / Update & security
Recovery - from the left menu / Advanced startup - Restart Now

Troubleshoot / Advanced options / UEFI Firmware Settings / Restart

BIOS Setup (F10) / Advanced / System Options / NumLock on at Boot - Enable

. . . Why isn't NumLock enabled / "On" when it gets to the Login screen?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Ok, I figured out . . . Using:  HP z240 . . . Win 10 Pro 64-bit . . . winver: 1709

BIOS Version/Date . . . HP N51 Ver. 01.60, 08/10/17

To get into the BIOS From a Restart . . . F10 . . . Advanced / System Options / NumLock on at Boot - Enable . . . No, leave this setting on the default of Disabled (I think that's the default), don't need to do this, see below

ALL YOU NEED TO DO HERE ARE "STEPS 1 AND 2" FOR THE FASTEST WAY - THIS IS GREAT!

STEP 1 OF 2

Control Panel / User Accounts / Make changes to my account in PC settings / Sign-in options / PIN / Create a PIN to use in place of passwords.

You'll be asked for this PIN when you sign in to Windows, apps, and services / Add / **** . . . Upon Boot Up, just type it in, no need to press "Enter" - how? . . .

STEP 2 OF 2

How do I get it to boot straight to PIN entry? . . . Disable Lock Screen in Windows 10 Anniversary Update version 1607 . . . https://winaero.com/blog/disable-lock-screen-in-windows-10-anniversary-update-version-1607/

Winaero Tweaker - download . . . https://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.1836

Use Winaero Tweaker . . . Boot and Logon / Disable Lock Screen - [check] Disable Lock Screen

DON'T BOTHER WITH THE FOLLOWING (BELOW).  IT'S USEFUL TO KNOW, AND WORKS, BUT NOT AS FAST AS "STEPS 1 AND 2" ABOVE

Summary:  You have to set it in the default user's registry settings.

Key: HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Keyboard
String: InitialKeyboardIndicators
Default: 2147483648
Change it to: 2147483650

2147483648 vs 2147483650

num lock . . . https://windowsforum.com/threads/num-lock.211874/

It's not the BIOS setting, it's a Windows thing.
It disables numlock at the login screen even if it's set to "on" in the BIOS (for some dumb reason).
Yes that's what it is doing, turning off at load screen. I have it turned on in BIOS.

Num Lock problem: Strange number in InitialKeyboardIndicators in Registry . . . https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/402b084d-ca78-4708-ad36-696329fc1e88...

2147483648 decimal value equals 0x8000 0000 in hexadecimal, it may not be a weird value.
It sets the highest weight bit. I think it means not to overwrite the last NUM LOCK state saved in HKCU\Control Panel\Keyboard\InitialKeyboardIndicators.
Setting this value to 2 switches NumLock ON, regardless of the state at logoff or shutdown.

InitialKeyboardIndicators . . . https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc978657.aspx

HKCU\Control Panel\Keyboard \ InitialKeyboardIndicators . . . 0 is off, 2 is on
Determines whether the NUMLOCK key is on or off when the computer starts. The system stores the state of the NUMLOCK key in this entry during logoff and shutdown, and then it uses this value to restore the state when the user logs on . . . [it's set to 2, is that because I changed the long number above?]

Num Lock key on at boot . . . https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/16347-num-lock-key-boot-3.html

I hadn't seen that tutorial. The funny thing is that in Vista & Win7, I didn't need to change anything to have Numlock working from boot on any of my home desktops. On Win8 my main desktop required the value '2' for InitialKeyboardIndicators. In Win10, on the rig in my sig, the value '2' only worked from a warm boot but would fail on a cold boot. The only way to get it to work was to change the value to either '2147483650' decimal or '80000002' in hex. The 'Fast Startup' option just appears to make it work for all machines although is not required for mine. Why? I don't know. It just seems that everyone has unique hardware / software configurations that require slightly different settings. It would be much easier if MS had a simple numlock setting for the keyboard in the Control Panel somewhere. Edit: If you look at another tenforums thread Numlock defaults to off, you can see how the value '2' occasionally fails in a cold boot for other folks too.

By default, NumLock, CapsLock, and ScrollLock are set to off on power up in WindowsXP.  If you want to modify this to allow one or all of them to be on by default at power up, follow the below instructions.

Turn NUM LOCK on at start-up . . . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/turn-num-lock-on-at-start-up/b6...

Click Start
Click Run
Type RegEdit
Expand to HKEY_Users
Expand .Default
Expand Control Panel
Expand Keyboard
Find sting value InitialKeyboadIndicators. (By default this will be set to '0' which means Num Lock, Scroll Lock, and Caps Lock are all turned off.)
Double click the "InitialKeyboardIndicators" string value and make the following changes.

0 - Turns off Num Lock, Caps Lock, and Scroll Lock
1 - Turns on Caps Lock
2 - Turns on Num Lock
3 - Turns on Caps Lock and Num Lock
4 - Turns on Scroll Lock
5 - Turns on Caps Lock and Scroll Lock
6 - Turns on Num Lock and Scroll Lock
7 - Turns on Caps Lock, Num Lock, and Scroll Lock

Exit the Registry. When you restart, the new setting will take effect

How do I get it to boot straight to PIN entry? . . . this doesn't work

Right-click Desktop / Personalize / Lock screen / Show lock screen background picture on the sign-in screen / Off

HP Recommended

What if I want NumLock "on" for convenience, in case I want to Logon by Password?

I recently updated to Win 10 version 1709, which is the latest . . . None of the following worked, so that I can get NumLock "on" from a cold boot (Restart/warm boot, yes, it stays "on").

HKEY_USERS \ .DEFAULT \ Control Panel \ Keyboard \ InitialKeyboardIndicators
Default = 2147483648 . . . Change it to (none of these have any effect):
80000002 . . . in HEX

HKCU \ Control Panel \ Keyboard \ InitialKeyboardIndicators
Default = 2 . . . I see that it resets itself to this . . . Change it to (none of these have any effect):
2147483650 . . . no effect
80000002 . . . in HEX

BIOS Setup (F10) / Advanced / System Options / NumLock on at Boot /
. . . Disable (default?) / Enable . . . I tried all of the above with this on "Enable" - and it had no effect

So, using the PIN, where NumLock is not on, and I don't have to press "Enter," is the way to go.

HP Recommended

Wait, a breakthrough on this common question, with no easy, clear-cut answer:

What if I want NumLock "on" for convenience, in case I want to Logon by Password?

. . . and that Registry setting doesn't work? . . . I see that it's because . . .

I'm using Classic Shell 4.3.1 . . . and it's necessary to [un-check] "Enable hybrid shutdown"

Classic Start Menu Settings / Main Menu / [un-check] Enable hybrid shutdown
. . . Then this setting that you make in the Registry will work, to make NumLock "on":

HKEY_USERS \ .DEFAULT \ Control Panel \ Keyboard \ InitialKeyboardIndicators
Default: 2147483648
Change it to: 2147483650

The way I figured this out is - if you bypass Classic Shell, and do a Windows Shutdown:
Shift + Classic Shell Start button . . . then . . . Windows "Power" button + Shutdown
after I re-booted with the above Registry setting, NumLock was on.
So, I looked in Classic Shell to see what shutdown options were available . . .
. . . there is just that one, so I tried that, and it worked.

The shutdown and boot-up times for these are not much different, and vary (seconds):
Classic Shell, hybrid shutdown "on" . . . 15-19 / 21
Classic Shell, hybrid shutdown "off" . . . 13-17 / 22
Windows, hybrid shutdown "off" (must be) . . . 14 / 22

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.