Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy desktop
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

on previous computer I did a encryption for my stuff (i.e. photos, docs) because it went back for service, I wasnt sure how to backup properly, so I think I did a windows encryption key/pass.  now I have another computer,  HP Envy desktop, win7  64 bit, have loaded picts/docs on from previous disk but cant get them open!  they are very important...

can anyone help me open them?  1. when I try to open in windows photo viewer, it says cant, cause I dont have the correct permissions to access the file.  dont know exactly what that is, or where to get it or put it.

I have a "keypass" but not sure what it is, where it goes, or how to use it to unlock those things.  HELP? or am I doomed and should just delete this stuff? they are necessary but if I cant get open anymore, what good is keeping.... thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@catsears

Sorry, but if you did encrypt these files and NOW, don't have the key needed to decrypt them, there is nothing we can do to help you bypass that encryption.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I do have a keypass or something for it, just dont know how to use it.  when I encrypted, I wrote the number down.  Shouldnt I be able to open these files on the new computer?

thought:  I'm wondering if the password/login on the other computer would affect trying to open these on the new one? the password might have been different than the one I put on new computer...how about I lookup the info I wrote down, send to you and you tell me....thanks for your time and patience, I really want to get these open if I can, they're important, dont know what I was thinking either......

HP Recommended

@catsears

The Windows login password and encryption key are totally different things, although there is nothing saying that you can not make them the same key.

As said, there is nothing we can do for you about this from here, as we have no way of bypassing any encryption.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.