Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
pavillion 23-q116
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

dvd/cd player is not reconized, went to device manager and not there, selected show hidden device and it appeared.

per suggestion on hp support did uninstall and tried to load dvd driver hp DVD/CDRAM Gudon and it is on the hard drive 

as SP03 and does nothing.  If I put cd in drive and close it you can hear "run up"   The drive is part of the all-in-one

23-q116.   HP corp support is no help 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

That symptom seems to be common with Windows 10.  Here is a guide that should help

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/fix-dvd-cd-drive-not-working-missing-windows-10/

One of the steps listed says to check in the BIOS to see if the DVD/CD drive is detected.  If it is not shown, then perhaps the drive has failed.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

did the regedit, went to hkey-locale and then followed the directions.  My right pane did not list upper or lower limits.    thanks for your reply

HP Recommended

You did not mention if the DVD/CD drive is listed in the BIOS

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Old Man 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

In the right pane it shows CDROM..    so that means that I have the driver?  or does it?  

Screenshot (1).png

HP Recommended

That just means that the Registry has a CD entry.  What does the BIOS show about the DVD/CD drive?

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

the bios does not have the expected entry:

SATA 1:   Wd hard disk 

SATA 2:   Wd hard disk Passport 01

and does not have 

SATA 3:   DVD/CD ROM

the bios version is   A0  .013   or something like that, you have been nice to reply to my post, Thanks

HP Recommended

Here is the spec page for that model

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-23-q100-all-in-one-desktop-pc-series/8499698/model/...

It shows a production date of 2015, so that makes it almost 4 years old.  It is possible that DVD/CD drive has failed.  The user guide indicates that is a Ultra Slim Tray SuperMulti DVD Burner drive, which means it is very similar to a laptop drive.  You could try replacing the drive or try an external DVD/CD to rectify this problem.

The BIOS version is up to date.

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.