Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you are having hardware issues with your computer, please, Click here for more information.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I would like to change the motherboard of the computer because it does not support the processor and the frequency of the RAM. I would like to know if it is possible to change the motherboard of a pre-assembled computer? 

SERIAL NUMBER: [Personal Information Removed]

PRODUCT NUMBER: 2DE19EA#ABZ

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello
Up to you,
but probably a waste of time and money.
it is very difficult if not impossible to do this, with many hp models
the best you can do, so well what you desire
buy another tower, this is a little extra expense, you can install depending on the model, power supply and motherboard you want, without too much problem
get what you can, if you want, from your HP
SSD hard drive, network card (if compatible) etc

but you  have this, it's already not bad

Intel Core i7-9700K HyperX 16 GB

• TDP: up to 95 W
  • Socket type: LGA 1151
  • Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
    Processor
    TDP
    Integrated Graphics
    Intel Core i7-9700K (Coffee Lake R) 3.6 GHz, Octa Core
    95 W
    Intel UHD Graphics 630
    Intel Core i7-8700K (Coffee Lake) 3.7 GHz, Hexa Core
    95 W
    Intel UHD Graphics 630
    Intel Core i7-8700 (Coffee Lake) 3.2 GHz, Hexa Core
    65 W
    Intel UHD Graphics 630
    Intel Core i7-8600K (Coffee Lake) 3.7 GHz, Hexa Core
    95 W
    Intel UHD Graphics 630
    Intel Core i5-8400 (Coffee Lake) 2.8 GHz, Hexa Core
    65 W
    Intel UHD Graphics 630

• Dual channel (2 DIMMs per channel) memory architecture
  • Four DDR4 UDIMM (288-pin) sockets
  • Supports PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) and PC4-19200 (DDR4-2400)
  • Supports 4 GB, 8 GB, and 16 GB DDR4 UDIMMs
  • Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit systems
    note:
    32-bit systems cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.
  • Supports up to 64 GB (unbuffered) with four 16 GB modules and 32 GB (unbuffered) with four 8 GB modulues on 64-bit computers

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-by-hp-880-100-desktop-pc-series/18695893/model/27819650/do...

yes too bad, it's a good box

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

@Mirko05 

In addition to the sound advice that @Prométhée has already provided, let me provide the following information:

Many folks posting here seem to think that replacing a motherboard is a simple matter like replacing a memory stick or a disk drive.

It is NOT!!!

Before you spend any money to attempt to replace the HP motherboard, you need to be aware of the issues involved with doing that.

First, HP does not sell motherboards except for rare exceptions. If you use this link to go to the HP site and do NOT see your motherboard listed, that means HP does not sell it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-dv6-6c00-Entertainment-Notebook-PC-series/5191856/mo...

That means any motherboard you buy will be USED, having been taken from another PC. Those often do not work, or have internal problems that the seller does not disclose. So, you need to buy it from a seller that will refund your money if the motherboard does not work properly -- many of them will NOT do this because the item is USED.

Also, the licensed Windows version that came preloaded on your PC is an HP OEM Version -- and that license is tied to the original motherboard, not to the PC owner. When you toss away that motherboard, you toss away the license -- and HP will not provide you a second license. Since the versions of Windows you can buy will not activate with the embedded HP OEM license, you will have to buy a Retail version of Windows, and a license to go with it. You will then have to replace the installed Windows version on your laptop with the version you bought and license it. We are not able to assist in any of that work.

The bottom line is the process is a lot more difficult than simply swapping one part for another.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@WAWood 
I agree with you, broadly
however, I don't understand, you mean laptop
It remains a little different from the question asked here
Even if as I mentioned it is practically impossible, it is not at all like with a laptop

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

@Prométhée 

The issue is the same with laptops and desktops -- it's just that laptops are harder to find and replace.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I'm not going to argue, needlessly, but there is more possibility with a desktop computer, than a laptop, that's just what I'm saying
the windows license is not so much of a problem ..
This being the case, it remains for the user to see what he wants to do, according to what has been indicated to him!

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.