Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

How can I find the build date of an HP Envy all-in-one computer?  It was purchased in Dec. 2015.  The date is definitely not in the serial number, and Ctrl-Alt-S doesn't work at all (just gives me an error message).

The description of the computer is HP Envy 24-N014 all-in-one.  Does that mean it was built in 2014?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The date of manufacture should be part of the serial number.

The 4th, 5th and 6th characters of the serial number will always be numbers.

The 4th is the year, the 5th and 6th, the calendar week of production.

For example if the 4th, 5th and 6th characters of the serial number are 543, that means the PC was built in 2015 during the 43rd week of the year.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

The date of manufacture should be part of the serial number.

The 4th, 5th and 6th characters of the serial number will always be numbers.

The 4th is the year, the 5th and 6th, the calendar week of production.

For example if the 4th, 5th and 6th characters of the serial number are 543, that means the PC was built in 2015 during the 43rd week of the year.

HP Recommended

Many thanks, Paul!!! The first six digits of the serial number are 3CR541, so that means it was built in October 2015.  I purchased it in December 2015, and it seems to have "bought the farm" -- it doesn't want to connect to anything that needs to be clicked on, such as a link, a button, or an email.  Time for a new one, I think.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Before you buy a new one, back up any files you want to save onto a portable hard drive and see if clean installing W10 by making a bootable USB installation flash drive using the media creation tool gets the PC to work again.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

After W10 has completed installing, you can install the drivers and available software from your PC's support page.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-ENVY-24-All-in-One-Desktop-PC-series/8499715/mod...

HP Recommended

I should have said that it's just slow to connect, not failing altogether.  Takes about 1 to1-1/2 minutes to connect.

I'll ask the computer guy to do what you suggested -- it's beyond my pay grade.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.