Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion 500-314
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

how to format an Hp computer and what does formant meand and do?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@tommydin

Do you mean to fomat HDD of a computer ?

>>> what does formant meand and do?

Hope the following link explains a bit more

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_formatting

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

i meant how  to format a computer and a disk

HP Recommended

Hi

What end result do you want?

Install a new operating system or just prepare a usb stick for first use?

HP Recommended

@tommydin

You don't format a "computer"; instead, you format a "drive" -- as was explained in the link that was provided.

You need to tell us what kind of "drive" you want to format: Hard Disk or Floppy Disk -- as the procedures are different for both.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for you suggestion i don't  know what i will do at present

HP Recommended

Thanks  for  reply and explanation. I just wanted to know what all this meant since i am not a tech person.

How would this effect my current drives and it is not a floppy disk.

Thanks again

HP Recommended

@tommydin

In terms of how it would affect your current drives -- any "drive" you reformat will be completely erased, removing all the files and folders from that "drive".

If you were to do this with your Windows OS drive, that would essentially render your PC unusable because the OS would be gone.

But ... you could then boot your PC from Windows Installation Media (USB or DVD) and install Windows to the drive -- if that is why you are asking this question.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks i will keep it as it is 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.