Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Slim Desktop S01-pF1016S
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Slim Desktop  SO1-pF1016S.   I need to open an ova file and the sender recommends downloading Virtual Box to do so. Is the necessary/safe? If not, what do you recommend.  OS Windows 10 64 bit

Thanks,

HarleyTriage

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Harleytriage --- The .ova file extension is attached to files that contain descriptions of a virtual machine. .ova files are usually package files and they contain the descriptions, certification information as well as other information regarding the virtual machine.

Is that what you expected? 

The contents of the file _might_ contain malicious software.

Can you ask the person who sent the file to you?

Did you download the file from the Internet?

HP Recommended

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

I did download the .ova file. The sender suggested Virtual Box to open it - did not supply if safe.

HP Recommended

@Harleytriage --  The sender suggested Virtual Box to open it - did not supply if safe

If I really had a good reason to open the file, I would:

1. Take a "spare" computer, and add-in a "spare" disk-drive;
  2. On your main computer, copy the ".ova" file to an empty USB memory-stick;
  3. Also on your main computer, download the Virtual Box software to the same memory-stick
  4. Disconnect the "spare" computer from the Internet;
  5. install Windows 10 onto it;
  6. During the installation, click "I do not have a product-key". For this procedure, an "unactivated" copy of Windows 10 will work fine.
  7. Connect the USB memory-stick to the "spare" computer.
  8. Install Virtual Box;
  9. Launch Virtual Box;
  10. Configure a Virtual Machine;
  11. Load that ".ova" into the Virtual Machine;
  12. Launch that virtual operating system.
  13. Observe the running V.M.;
  14. If there is anything "good", copy the file(s) to the USB memory-stick.

If there is anything "bad", then just disconnect the AC power-cord from the computer, to forcibly "kill" Windows, the Virtual Box app, and the V.M. that was running.

If you copy anything from the V.M. to the memory-stick, be sure to virus-scan the memory-stick, as you connect it to your "main" computer.

P.S. Use the camera in your smart-phone to take pictures, before launching the V.M. and after launching that ".ova" file.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.