Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 23 all in 1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Had a hard drive failure, replaced with a 1T instead of the 500g it had. Had some issues getting it to boot up but now its fine and will go to the desktop every time. I always start a fresh windows install with making sure all updates are current before making a recovery disk/USB.

mr2.jpgCurrent issue- After getting windows installed from W7 to W10 Pro, its failing to install whats in the updates in the picture. It shows a code of 0x800705b4 and says it had trouble installing some updates & will try again later. After a few restarts and a few updates during shut downs it still refuses to install whats in the picture and gives the same code. It will take a minute to find the updates then when I click install/retry it stays at 1% for about an hour before going back to the same message of well try again later. After all day yesterday getting w10 installed properly the update issue continues.

I am unsure of what steps to take next to remedy this. Side note, AMD Catalyst did show up and says it needs attention to make sure videos function properly with 3rd party add-ons, doubt thats the issue though. Any help would be greatly appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Have you tried running the Windows Update Troubleshooter (Link)?

I would also run a CheckDisk (Link) to make sure system files are good.

Check out this Microsoft Community solution (Link) to this problem.

Regards

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Have you tried running the Windows Update Troubleshooter (Link)?

I would also run a CheckDisk (Link) to make sure system files are good.

Check out this Microsoft Community solution (Link) to this problem.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thank you very much, That helped and seemed to fix the issue for he final update. It now shows system is upto date.  The option for the check wasnt present until some of the updates took earlier this morning. It seemed to fix it and now says its up to date but I have a new concern.

The very last update that refused to install was a windows defender and now its showing my TPM is not active and saying the device installed is not able to run it or support it. I guess thats another issue to post in a different catagory.

Im not sure why this is showing up as I ordered everything from HP and installed using methods from HP techs. I have a feeling it has something to do with the secure boot being turned off at one point to install the new hard drive. Thank you for your post!

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're very welcome.

Good to see Windows updates are now working correctly.

Are you using Windows Security as your primary anti-malware solution?

Did you re-enable the Windows Security service? Make sure the Windows Firewall is running unless you are using a different Security suite firewall service.

Regards

HP Recommended

Since its my aunts computer and she doesnt do much but visit cooking websites, hsn/qvc and ocassionally places games from the app store so I figured defender and cloud protection would be plenty. I normally use malwarebytes on all my machines which I may end up getting it for her.

My concern is Ive resent 6 computers recently, 2 alienwares, 3 HPs, I think a cyberpower and updated an old gateway basically as a project(all to windows 10/W10 Pro. None of them had these issues with replacement of hard ware or software updates but the pavillion.

Im also concerned about the hard drive itself. I ordered it from a link an HP tech emailed me because I could only find a 500g but prefered a 1T minimum. Its the only hardware / software Ive ordered thats given me issues.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Windows Security running on Windows 10 is getting good reviews at AV-Test.org (Link).

The Pavilion problem could have been caused by anything. Any Windows 7 problems your aunt may have been having could have migrated to the Windows 10 upgrade. I have some Windows 7 PCs that developed unexplainable Windows Update problems. Had to do a clean Windows 7 installation to fix the problem.

Regards

HP Recommended

Im glad you said that, that was a type-o, The pavillion was on 8 or 8 something version. The rest of the PCs were on 7. I wanted to do a fresh 8 install but I thought having cortona would make things a bit easier on her. Do you think I should go back and do a fresh 8 install or leave as is(in your opinion)? 

I feel theres something not right about W10 on this particular PC. Side note to that its showing W10 but it should be W10 Pro, again another thing thats weird and not like the others. I thought about giving it a test run and restarts to see if it auto clears up somehow.

If it keeps throwing personal red flags to me I most likely will go back to the older version if at all possible. Only problem is Im not possitve which exact version it had and the PC itself is telling me if I want to go back to W7 Not windows 8 - like it had. Its primary use will be light but with the security beign a slight issue, basically allowing roots to easily bypass in, Im a bit worried from where she likes to download games from the app store. I know those junk PCs like no tomorrow but shes still getting used to the "newer internet". Shes used to everything thats approx 6-10 years older and hated the W8 but could manage on W7..not sure why but I do appreciate the help here.

This is the first comp in a few years thats had me baffled and its all little stuff but enough to be a bit concerned

HP Recommended

Hi,

We can verify the factory operating system if you give me the complete product number of your aunt's PC.

Windows 10 is way better than W8.x. Do you have any Device Manager errors? Did running a Check Disk fix any system file errors? Check current status of security and maintenance the Security and Maintenance Control Panel applet for any error conditions.

Worst case scenario would be to back up your aunt's important data. Then try a clean W10 install. This sometimes corrects any previous operating system problems which may have migrated to the upgrade.

You might be able to get HP recovery media for the PC. Or you can get a W8.x .ISO, convert to bootable media, then do a clean W8 install. HP provides drivers for the factory OS at the PC's support site.

You would have a problem running W7 on the PC if HP provided W8 at the factory. I don't think you can buy a legit W7 product key anymore.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.