Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq 8200 desk top
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello,

I just got an HP Compaq 8200 deskop, with windows 7,  I heard that Microsoft offers an upgrade to windows 10,  does anyone have the answer or the procedure for upgrading my machine to windows 10 ??????.

Thanks  and have a Happy New Year

Beep01

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Beep01

Sorry, but the information you heard is incorrect.

Microsoft USED TO provide a free Upgrade to Win10 for folks running licensed copies of Windows 7 or 8x -- but they stopped that program months ago.

To do that NOW, you would have to PURCHASE Win10 and that's going to cost at least $100 USD.

Furthermore, for a successful upgrade, your PC needs to have HP Win10 drivers already available -- and yours does not.

Microsoft only supplies drivers with the most basic functionality, and what you really need for FULL functionality is the specialized drivers written for the specific hardware found in your HP PC -- and unfortunately, there are no HP Win10 drivers for your PC.

HP only guarantees Win10 compatibility for machines made after August, 2013. HP is no longer producing drivers for the older machines.

This means that your PC is most likely NEVER going to be fully functional under Win10 because the drivers it needs for full functionality simply do not exist!

So personally, I would advise strongly against doing the Win10 Upgrade.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Beep01

Sorry, but the information you heard is incorrect.

Microsoft USED TO provide a free Upgrade to Win10 for folks running licensed copies of Windows 7 or 8x -- but they stopped that program months ago.

To do that NOW, you would have to PURCHASE Win10 and that's going to cost at least $100 USD.

Furthermore, for a successful upgrade, your PC needs to have HP Win10 drivers already available -- and yours does not.

Microsoft only supplies drivers with the most basic functionality, and what you really need for FULL functionality is the specialized drivers written for the specific hardware found in your HP PC -- and unfortunately, there are no HP Win10 drivers for your PC.

HP only guarantees Win10 compatibility for machines made after August, 2013. HP is no longer producing drivers for the older machines.

This means that your PC is most likely NEVER going to be fully functional under Win10 because the drivers it needs for full functionality simply do not exist!

So personally, I would advise strongly against doing the Win10 Upgrade.

HP Recommended

Thank You,          boy that was some unreliable information,  Oh Well,  i will just stay with windows 7 and be Happy.

Happy New Year

Beep01

HP Recommended

Hi:

I have two 8200 Elite CMT's both runnning W10 Pro just fine.

The only driver you will need to install is the W7 AMT-SOL driver.

You can still get the free upgrade to W10 if you or a family member needs assistive technology support.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

HP Recommended

OK -- I stand corrected!  

I was not aware that the Upgrade was still being offered -- to those that need assisted support.  Everything I had read indicated that the offer had been terminated.

But ... I do believe that now, you have to "jump through some hoops" to continue to get the free Upgrade -- and I do not know the details of HOW to do that.

HP Recommended

I believe it is an 'honor system' situation.

Just like you agree to any of the Microsoft software licensing terms.

You agree to the following statement and proceed...'Yes, I use assistive technologies and I am ready for my free upgrade to Windows 10.'

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.