missingkitty
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

vertical lines and smears in excell documents

HP Recommended
Pavilion 590 - p0024
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I suddenly started seeing vertical and smear lines in Word and Excell in all documents. Also strange data in the toolbars.  Also near the START button the columns are sidewards and the letters are backwards.    But the documents print out normally.  How could the whole program be corrupted??

2 REPLIES 2
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
33,793 32,915 3,069 7,574
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@missingkitty 

Quite frankly, in decades of using lots of different versions of Excel, I have never encountered this problem!

The smearing sounds like a monitor hardware issue -- so if that was all, I would borrow a different monitor from a friend, hook that up in place of yours, and see if the smearing goes away.

But the column rotation and backwards letters are something I've never seen or encountered and I am at a total loss to explain why they are being displayed wrong but print correctly.

All I can suggest is creating a new spreadsheet, copying the contents that display wrong into it and seeing if the faulty display repeats itself.

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
missingkitty
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

IT ALL GOT RESOLVED WITH A NEW WINDOWS UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!     WHO KNEW???   LOL.   BUT THERE WAS SOME FREAKY STUFF THAT INCLUDED MY TOOLBARS AND THEIR ICONS- NOT JUST WORD AND EXCEL.   HOPE TO NEVER SEE THAT AGAIN

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation