Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hello reader, I have bought an HP w2207 monitor about 3 years ago, and all works fine. But my problem is that I just bought a 320GB PS3 and I'm connecting it through an HDMI cable+HDMI to DVI adapter to the monitor. My monitor detects signal from the DVI input, but does not display anything. I assume that the PS3's display output is still via AV cables. But it turns out that even though I switch to HDMI output (to the monitor), it still doesn't display anything. It only goes black and says that the input is 'out of range' and that the recommended settings is 1680 - 1050 : 60Hz (the current settings is 720 - 480 : 60 Hz). I'm wondering that the problem is that the monitor's resolution is too low to reach what the PS3 is inputting to it. So I want to change my resolution to the recommended one, but I don't know how to get there. I tried to do it through the screen menu by pressing the buttons below the screen, but couldn't find anything. I can't change my resolution for the DVI input to the recommended one. Thanks. Note: - It is not cable issue, I tried DVI-D single link and double link
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Review this User's Guide for your monitor.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi,

You are right, it's not a cable issue.

You may not like results.  The monitor obviously can''t handle 1080P so you should set the PS3 to 720P and see what happens. The bad news is that the monitor's resolution built in resolution presets do not match 720P (1280 by 720) so 720P might not even work.  Some monitors allow a custom resolution profile to be created but I didn't see that function listed in the manual.

The PS3 can output 480P (640 by 480) which is a monitor resolution preset so that may be the solution. This should work but you will be missing a lot of video content.

Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

I already know about the monitor not supporting 1080p. I expected it should display something when I reset my PS3's resolution (which I think is 480p). Technically, my monitor should accept that, right? But my monitor still displays nothing. How do I change the DVI's resolution to highest resolution so it would support 720p?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Try a monitor reset. Unplug the monitor’s power cord and hold down the monitor’s power button for 30-60 seconds. Plug the monitor back in and power it up.  Be sure to set the source input to DVI. You should be able to get 480P to work.

Try the monitor on a PC to verify that the cables you are using and the monitor do correctly function.

HP Recommended

Tried that with no luck :smileysad:. How do I change the resolution to the recommended one (the max) for my monitor? It tells me to do it, but I don't know how to. I tried to do it from the on-screen menu, but there's no option for that there.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Review this User's Guide for your monitor.

HP Recommended

Okay, that user's guide helped, but didn't entirely solved the problem. My brother tried this: Connect HDMI-DVI like before, plus composite audio to the monitor's audio input. First it displays what it is supposed to display (the option to change to HDMI output or not), not just black screen. When we say yes, it goes out again, saying out of range. Thanks! It got us a step closer! It usually doesn't show this http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/857/dsc05446i.jpg/, but now it does.

HP Recommended

NEVER MIND!!! WE RESOLVED THE PROBLEM! THX DAVE! Go and resolve other problems! The world needs you! LOL! Many thanks Dave!

HP Recommended

In case of people wondering how it was fixed: The HDMI cable was plugged to an HDMI to DVI adapter. DVI does not transmit audio, only video. The monitor was waiting for an audio input. So what I needed to do is input the audio from the PS3 to the back of the monitor. The monitor doesn't accept it if you hook up video from DVI, but you don't give it an audio input. You need to give it both!

HP Recommended

Hi,

Your situation might be an anomaly.  I did some additional testing with two different HP monitors (2210 and 2159) using a HDMI to DVI cable and did not experience your situation.  I seldom recommend using adapters as the adapter will add an additional points of failure.  I consider your situation to be a faulty monitor or an undocumented restriction with the HP w2207.  As suggested above, you might have tested your monitor on a PC to eliminate the PS3 as being part of problem.  You still might be bypassing a PS3 issue.

I would caution the casual PS3 owner not to consider your resolution as one that might solve their video problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.