Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilion desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

How do I reset the password to my computer start-up screen?  Not my Microsoft password.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

What is the full model number or product number of your PC?

The product number can be found on the same label as the serial number.

Please do not post the serial number.

HP Recommended

550-a114

HP Recommended

Below is the link to the motherboard info for your model PC.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04439095

Unfortunately, there are no instructions for how to clear the BIOS P/W, as there normally are with many other models.

However...if you look at the motherboard picture on the link, I see two little blue jumpers located about 1 inch to the left of the bottom right edge of the motherboard.

If you look very closely at the lettering by the blue jumpers, one of those is the clear password jumper, and one of them is the clear CMOS jumper.  The CMOS jumper might be the top one and the Password the bottom one?

Anyway, this is usually how you clear the BIOS P/W with the jumper.

To erase the BIOS password follow these steps:
  1. Turn OFF the computer and unplug the power cord.
  2. Locate the jumper labeled Clear P.W. The jumper is found at the lower right edge of the motherboard
  3. Move the jumper on jumper Clear P.W. to pins 1-2.

4. Plug the power cord and turn ON the computer. The P/W should now be cleared.

5.  Shut down and unplug the PC

6. Reset the jumper to pins 2-3.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.