Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp 8t-1280
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Sorry for the Win 11 category. Only choice available.

I have an old HP desktop running W10. For some reason the CD/DVD writer won't burn discs or run files from a disc. All it does when I insert a disc is show the files on the disc and below that "files ready to burn". Also, my desktop has 8 USB slots that recognize my mouse and keyboard but nothing else. I ran the troubleshooter but after about 10 minutes of "resolving issues" and no action, I cancelled it.

Is there any way to fix my 12 year old desktop?Screenshot 2024-05-20 084704.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @khone,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

No problem! Let's address the issues you're experiencing with your HP desktop running Windows 10:

CD/DVD Drive not Burning Discs or Running Files: If your CD/DVD drive is not functioning properly, there could be several reasons for this. Here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try:

• Ensure that the CD/DVD drive is properly connected to your computer and recognized by Windows. You can check this in Device Manager.
  • Check if the drive has the latest firmware installed. You can usually find firmware updates on the HP website.
  • Try using a different brand of blank discs, as compatibility issues can sometimes occur.
  • If none of the above steps work, the drive itself may be faulty and may need to be replaced.

USB Slots not Recognizing Devices: If your USB slots are not recognizing devices other than your mouse and keyboard, there may be a few things causing this issue:

• Make sure the devices you're trying to connect are functioning properly by testing them on another computer.
  • Check if there are any driver updates available for your USB controllers. You can do this through Device Manager.
  • Try plugging the devices into different USB ports on your computer to see if the issue is specific to certain ports.
  • If you're using USB hubs, try connecting the devices directly to your computer's USB ports instead.
  • Resetting the USB controllers in Device Manager can sometimes resolve issues with USB recognition. To do this, right-click on each USB controller in Device Manager and select "Uninstall device." Then restart your computer to allow Windows to reinstall the drivers.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Rachel571

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @khone,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

No problem! Let's address the issues you're experiencing with your HP desktop running Windows 10:

CD/DVD Drive not Burning Discs or Running Files: If your CD/DVD drive is not functioning properly, there could be several reasons for this. Here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try:

• Ensure that the CD/DVD drive is properly connected to your computer and recognized by Windows. You can check this in Device Manager.
  • Check if the drive has the latest firmware installed. You can usually find firmware updates on the HP website.
  • Try using a different brand of blank discs, as compatibility issues can sometimes occur.
  • If none of the above steps work, the drive itself may be faulty and may need to be replaced.

USB Slots not Recognizing Devices: If your USB slots are not recognizing devices other than your mouse and keyboard, there may be a few things causing this issue:

• Make sure the devices you're trying to connect are functioning properly by testing them on another computer.
  • Check if there are any driver updates available for your USB controllers. You can do this through Device Manager.
  • Try plugging the devices into different USB ports on your computer to see if the issue is specific to certain ports.
  • If you're using USB hubs, try connecting the devices directly to your computer's USB ports instead.
  • Resetting the USB controllers in Device Manager can sometimes resolve issues with USB recognition. To do this, right-click on each USB controller in Device Manager and select "Uninstall device." Then restart your computer to allow Windows to reinstall the drivers.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Rachel571

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you Rachel571 for your response.

Believe me, I've done everything you suggest. But, right now I'm putting those issues behind me because I'm encountering a new problem that I've been trying to solve for about 2+ days - cannot wipe/format my hard drive.

I've tried everything recommended by Microsoft Community and nothing works.

Right now, I'm uninstalling everything listed on Control Panel/Programs and Features/Uninstall or change a program.

I guess I'll need to make a new post on that.

Again, thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi @khone,

Thank you for your response, 

Please feel free to reply to us and we will be more than happy to help you.

Take care and have a great day ahead!

Rachel571 

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.