Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 500 PC Series
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

My dad clicked something on his computer and now the desktop no longer shows up.  It doesn't have the option of the desktop display, either.  All that shows up is the app screen.  He is utterly frustrated!!!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@DG-

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand the desktop is not showing up anymore, 

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Perhaps, you could tell me what he is seeing if not the desktop screen? by app screen do you mean the "Start Screen"?

Did you tap on the windows key to check if it switches back to the desktop screen?

Have you performed any steps on your own to resolve this issue?

While you respond to that, here's a few things you could do:

1. Do step 2 or step 3 below for how you would like to open Personalization in the Settings app.

2. Right click or press and hold on your desktop, click/tap on Personalize, and go to step 4 below.

3. Open Settings, click/tap on the Personalization icon, and go to step 4 below. 

4. Click/tap on Start on the left side. Turn on or off to Use Start full screen for what you want. (see screenshot below)

5. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

Let me know how that works out, keep me in the loop and Good luck! 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello. It may be that your father accidentally clicked onto Tablet Mode in which case he won't be able to see his normal desktop as he would if he was in Desktop mode.

In order to revert back to Desktop mode he will need to do the following:

1) click on the Action Centre to open it (at the bottom right of the screen, on the taskbar, next to the date and time). The Action Centre looks like a square speech bubble. 

2) at the bottom of the action centre there should be a square icon that says Tablet mode. You can click or unclick it to turn it on or off. When it is turned of it will switch from Tablet mode to Desktop mode.

Hope this helps!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.