Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion BK232AA-ABA MS227
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

We have an HP Pavilion all-in-one PC, product name BK232AA-ABA MS227 and s/n [edited]. The operating system is Windows 10 Home 64-bit. To the best of my understanding the display adaptor is an ATI Radeon HD 32000 for PCI.

On 25 November 2017 Windows update downloaded a new display driver to our computer (version 22.19.128.0, dated 25 July 2017, and produced by Advanced Micro Devices). Immediately the display was changed, and now the aspect ratio is wrong (image is always stretched in the horizontal direction). I tried different resolutions, but they all have the same aspect ratio problem.

I also noticed that control panel reports different display adaptors and drivers being in use depending on how I ask. If I use Device Manager, I am told it is the ATI Radeon, and in the "Device Status" box it says that "No drivers are installed for this device". If I click the "driver" tab I am told the driver is the AMD version 22.19.128.0. If I click "Driver Details" I am again told no driver files are required.

If I investigate the display adaptor via control panel system/display, I am told the adaptor is of the type "Microsoft Basic Display Driver", and if I click "Properties" and then "Driver" I am told the driver provider is Microsoft, version 10.0.15063.0 and dated 21 June 2006.

Can anyone tell me how to get the correct aspect ratio back?
Thanks for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Jon.

That's unfortunate that the latest update wiped out the previous drivers.

Unfortunately, if the previous AMD HD 3200 driver from 2015 isn't in that window, I would have no idea what to do next.

There may be a couple of things you can try.

Try the easy thing first.

Do a system restore, and pick a restore point to a time before that update messed up the resolution.

If that works, run that Hide W10 update utility, and hopefully it will detect the driver update the other day that wrecked the resolution.  Then hide the update.

If that doesn't work, I still have one other thing you can try.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

See if this works...

Go to the device manager and click to expand the Display Adapters device manager category.

Click on the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.

Click on the driver tab.   Click on Update Driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and then at the bottom of that window, select the Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

A window will open, and hopefully, you will see a couple of drivers listed there--one of them being the AMD Radeon 3xxx driver from 2015.

Select the AMD one from 2015, hit next, and hopefully the working driver will install again and correct the resolution.

To prevent that new driver from installing again read the info at the link below and hide the update. While the title of the page says temporarily hide, the hide is permanent unless you run the tool again to unhide the update.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3073930/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-driver-update-from-rei...

HP Recommended

Hello Paul,

Thanks much for your help with this.

I tried to do what you suggested, but I ran into a problem.  When I get to the point where I choose "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer", the only option that appears is the "Microsoft Basic Display Driver".  If I un-check the "Show compatible hardware" box, many more options appear, but none of them is display adaptor-related.   Any ideas on how to make other options appear?  

FYI, I noticed that on my hard drive in the directory windows/system32/DriverStore/FileRepository there are some files that seem to be related to the last AMD driver download, but I can't figure out how to make the associated drivers recognizable when choosing a different display driver.

Jon

HP Recommended

That's unfortunate that the latest update wiped out the previous drivers.

Unfortunately, if the previous AMD HD 3200 driver from 2015 isn't in that window, I would have no idea what to do next.

There may be a couple of things you can try.

Try the easy thing first.

Do a system restore, and pick a restore point to a time before that update messed up the resolution.

If that works, run that Hide W10 update utility, and hopefully it will detect the driver update the other day that wrecked the resolution.  Then hide the update.

If that doesn't work, I still have one other thing you can try.

HP Recommended

Hello again Paul,

I successfully ran a system restore to before the Windows update on the 25th.  This has fixed the aspect ratio problem.  Thank you very much for helping me to do this.

I tried to run the show hide windows update utility.  When I get to the point that the available updates are listed, the display driver update that seems to have caused my problem is not shown.  This has me baffled; either I am mistaken about which update caused my problem, or Microsoft cancelled the display driver update.  The only thing listed that is even close says "Advanced Micro Devices, Inc - System - 8/30/2017 12:00 AM - 5.12.0.38".  I'm tempted to not hide anything; what do you think?

Thanks again

Jon

HP Recommended

Glad the easy system restore fix resolved the issue.

I agree with you, I don't think that Advanced Micro Devices, Inc - System - 8/30/2017 is the culprit, and I would not hide it.

Maybe MS did remove the disasterous Display Adapter driver update, since so many folks were affected by it.

I think it killed the AMD HD 3xxx adapters and HD 4xxx adapters.

HP Recommended

BTW Paul, do I need to do anything to reflect that you provided a solution to my problem?  Just want to make sure your work and knowledge are recognized properly.

Jon

HP Recommended

Hi, John:

No need to do anything else on your part.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.