Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
AMD A8 Elite Quad Core Desktop Product No: 23-f206a P/N H5Z09AA#ABG
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi folks, I use Win 10 Home and since that came out have had no end of problems with my display options!

Baasically they are:

1.   Screensaver will not work at all although it "previews" OK

2.   PC will not shut down or sleep as scheduled

3.   PC often starts in DIM mode and needs rebooting again

I'm very familar with all of these settings, how to edit and adjust them all but have had no luck on the above.

HP Support hurt my feelings by telling me my PC is "too old" and was never tested with Win 10 Home so the issues may be unfixable, I thought flashing the BIOS might have helped but they say it can't be done!

I've Googled the world only to find I am not alone in these issues, especially the starting in DIM mode!

All Windows Updates installed ....................

Any advice or suggestions much appreciated!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Cuttlefish310,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Support Community,

Did you install a retail copy of Windows or OEM version of Windows. 

Have you tried to check for the dim display issues if it happens in the Bios screen as well.

Have you tried to update the Bios on your PC.

After going through the Product specifications found that your PC was shipped with Windows 8 and unfortunately there are no software and driver download available for Windows 10.

In this scenario, if you wish to continue using Windows 10 then you would need to rely on generic Windows drivers or you can try to download the drivers using HP Support Assistant.

Here's what you can try doing: 

Run Windows Updates troubleshooter -

Download and install the troubleshooter from this link.

Now try to perform a Windows update:

1) In the search box, type and open Windows Updates. 

2) Check for updates. 

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Alternatively, you can try to download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

If the issue still persists, then the alternate option would be to revert back to the original operating system which was shipped with the PC.

Here's what you would need to know about ordering a set of recovery media for your PC: HP PCs - Obtaining PC Recovery USB Drives or Discs

You may also contact our HP support team for further assistance.

HP support team can be reached on www.hp.com/contacthp

I'm sure they should be able to go ahead and address your issue. Let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help you.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.