Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hello
I recently purchased an hp omen and I found out that it does not have a DisplayPort. My monitor however does have a DisplayPort and to use it at its full potential I need to use DisplayPort and not an hdmi. It's an asus rogpg348q and it's expensive so it's a bummer to use a standard resolution.
So i was wondering is it possible to use and adapter to convert hdmi to DisplayPort and connect it to my monitor or do I have to purchase a new motherboard that features DisplayPort and replace it?
I know that my graphic card which is a nvidia gtx 1080 can output to a DisplayPort resolution
If I do need to purchase a new motherboard, do I need to take anything specific in mind or any suggestions?
Thank you very much!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Carinaf, thanks for the response.

Thanks for providing the details. I think you might have purchased a wrong adapter.

You would have to buy an adapter something like this on this website.

The passive adapters/cables make use of the capability of [most] DP outputs to support HDMI signaling as well so that you can connect an HDMI sink (Monitor) to a DP source via them.
They are useless for the reverse.
For that, an active adapter is required because most DP sinks will not understand the HDMI signaling.

Hope this answers your query!

Have a wonderful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi! @Skullcracker, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand that you need to know whether you can connect your monitor using HDMI to display port adapter.

Yes, you can connect your monitor using HDMI to Display port adapter, You can buy this adapter online or any computer store.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a wonderful day! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Following your advice, MrRobot, I bought a laptop without Displayport, only to find out that the adapters you mention don't work with Windows 10. You might have mentioned that little detail 😞

HP Recommended

Try the following steps to fix the issue.

Go into Nvidia Control Panel and click Manage 3D Settings. Underneath Global Settings set Power management mode to Prefer Maximum Performance.
It seems that cards will disable the display port if they are in an energy saving state. Forcing it to max performance circumvents this little issue.

Let me know if this helps!

Have great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I don't follow you. First of all I have an Intel graphics card in the laptop and I see no similar options, second the Displayport is on the monitor, not the laptop.

HP Recommended

Thanks for trying out the steps.

Please provide the product number of your PC. 

I will try to find the specifications of you PC and will try to find the best solution.

Hope to hear from your soon!

Take care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I understood belatedly that your last answer was not directed to me. I have a HP Envy 15-as101no, which I would like to connect to the monitor HP ZR30W purchased 4 years ago. The monitor has a Displayport, the laptop a HDMI port. According to your collegue Jason, whom I chatted with yesterday, this is not possible under Windows 10. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for providing the details. I think you might have purchased a wrong adapter.

You would have to buy an adapter something like this on this website.

The passive adapters/cables make use of the capability of [most] DP outputs to support HDMI signaling as well so that you can connect an HDMI sink (Monitor) to a DP source via them.
They are useless for the reverse.
For that, an active adapter is required because most DP sinks will not understand the HDMI signaling.

Hope this answers your query!

Have a wonderful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you, you were right and with the new adapter this works. I'm glad I didn't follow your collegue's advice to buy a new monitor!

HP Recommended

I am glad that your issue got resolved.

If you have any queries in future related to any HP products, you can always reach out to us.

We will try our best to help you out.

Take care,            

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.