Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Desktop - 550-153w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, 

I am trying to set up my computer for dual-screen extended monitor use and I am struggling! My HP Pavilion Desktop - 550-153w has one HDMI output and 1 Dsub output. I went to best buy and bought an HDMI splitter thinking that would be the easy fix but learned that would only duplicate my monitors, not extend them. I have a Dsub to HDMI cord but it will not detect in the display settings. How can I accomplish my goal? WIll I have to add a second HDMI output to my computer? The sticker on the side of the tower says it can handle dual displays, but I never thought it would be this complicated. Thanks to anyone who can help! 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@phillyoe Here's all you need to know about resolving your concern:

Step 1: Connect the second display

Computers and TVs have a wide variety of video connection types. The video connection on your computer must match the connection on your TV or monitor.

NOTE: 

If your PC only has DVI and your TV does not have a DVI port, you can use a special adapter or converter cable.

1. Select a connection type based on your second monitor.

• Monitor: VGA  or DVI  cable

• TV: Video (composite)  or S-video  cable

• High Definition TV: DVI  or HDMI  cable

2. Connect the TV or monitor to the computer using the cable you chose.

3. Connect a power cable to the TV or monitor, and then turn it on.

4. TV connections only: Change the TV video input source to match the video source connection from the computer (Line-1, Video-1, HDMI, etc.). Refer to documents that came with the TV for instructions.

Depending on the TV, the image quality might not be as good as that of a monitor.

5. Turn on the computer.

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE & SKIP TO STEP 2 ONWARD

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

So I was able to get it to work after purchasing a new adapter. My D-sub to HDMI cable (all in one cord) would simply not work. I had to buy a D-sub to HDMI Adapter to get it to work. The adapter attaches to my tower D-sub output and has to plug in a USB into the tower as well. A normal HDMI cord then goes into the adapter and into the monitor, making the second screen detectable. I bought the adapter at Walmart for about $30. I hope this helps others that find themselves struggling when there is only one HDMI output in your tower but you want split screens! 

HP Recommended

@phillyoe That's awesome, I'm glad it worked,

Remember, if you ever need help related to your HP device,

We'll be right here and happy to help, take care and have an awesome day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.