Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 23xw

I have an HP Tower and run Windows 7 Professional (that was not an option for the Operating System question above). 

Recently switched from 19inch dual monitors to 23 inch dual monitors (Pavilion 23xw).  Tower has a VGA plug and a DVI plug.  Monitor 1 has a blue VGA cord that plugs into the VGA plug on the tower.  Monitor 2 has an HDMI cord that goes through a converter and then plugs into the DVI plug on the tower.

Whichever monitor uses the VGA plug does not display on the full screen-there is a black border around it. 

In control panel - appearance - display - screen resolution, they both show as HP23xw, 1920x1080 resolution.

Any suggestions on how to get BOTH monitors to go full screen?

FYI - I can use computers but know very little about the workings of them, so you might have to "dumb down" any replies for me.  Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@BeckyH-T

Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums After reading your post I see that you want assistance in extending the desktop. I will be a delight to assist you here.

Superb analysis and brilliant diagnosis of the issue before posting. 🙂  Kudos to you on that score.:)

1. Click Start , and then click Control Panel.

2. Under Appearance and Personalization, click Adjust screen resolution.

Figure : Appearance and Personalization

Appearance and Personalization section of Control Panel

The Screen Resolution window opens

Figure : Screen Resolution window

Screen Resolution window

NOTE:

If Windows shows only one monitor connected, click Detect. If Windows does not recognize both monitors, click Identify. The numbers 1 or 2 are shown on the monitor icons to help you identify them.

3. Use the Multiple displays drop-down list to select one of the following options:

• Duplicate these displays: Show the entire desktop on both displays.

• Extend these displays: Stretch the desktop across the two displays.

• Show desktop only on 1: Use only display 1 and show nothing on display 2.

• Show desktop only on 2: Use only display 2 and show nothing on display 1.

4. (Optional) To adjust the resolution, select a monitor and choose a resolution from the drop-down list.

5. (Optional) To change the direction of the desktop extension (usually left or right to match how the displays are physically positioned), select a monitor and drag it to the desired position.

6. When done, click Apply, and then click OK.

You can refer this HP Document for more assistance: http://hp.care/2pmlMAP

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

SandyTechy20 - Thanks for trying to assist.  We have tried all those options and none of them get both screens to be full screen.  I went through and tried them all again, but no luck.  That's one reason why I am wondering if it has to do with the cords that are being used.

HP Recommended

@BeckyH-T

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort.

This issue may require one to one interaction with the HP Phone Support.

I suggest that you contact HP Phone Support for further assistance at the link: www.hp.com/contacthp

You have a good day ahead.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.