Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 700-010xt CTO Desktop
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Currently I have a single W2371d monitor attached to my computer. I have now purchased a second monitor of the same type. How to attach the 2nd montor, should I use the Display Port or the HDMI port ? The computer seems to have a DVI, HDMI and a Display Port. The 1st monitor is attached to the DVI using a DVI to VGA adaptor.

The desktop has a NVIDIA Geoforce GT 640 video card.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You are very welcome.

If there is a DVI-D port on your second monitor a cable without an adapter is most definitely the way to go.

StarTech has a USB 3.0 video adapter.  You can use their Chat Live option to speak to one of their Techs.  They will actually be able to tell you which is your best option.  However, any of the options that you mentioned would work.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Pradjan, welcome to the forum.

Here is a diagram of the Back I/O ports:

Figure : Back I/O ports Image of the back I/O ports

1. S/PDIF
  2. USB 2.0: 4
  3. LAN (ethernet)
  4. USB 3.0: 2
  5. DVI-I: 1 and DVI-D: 1
  6. Audio: Center/subwoofer
  7. Audio: Line-in
  8. Audio: Rear speaker out
  9. Audio: Line-out
  10. Audio: Side speaker out
  11. Audio: Microphone

As you can see, one of the DVI ports is -I (Digital and Analog) and the other is -D (Digital only).  Look closely at the right side of the ports you will see that one of them has a single pin (-).  If you do use the other DVI port, which should work fine, make certain that the adapter has to correct pins.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response. The 2 DVI ports are closed out, I believe these are for the video on the motherboard. Since I have a dedicated Geoforce card, the PC came to me with those ports closed. See image 1. Image 2 shows what ports are available. In image 2, the current monitor is attached to the right most white adaptor (dvi to vga)

dvi_closed.PNGavailable_display_ports.PNGfor

HP Recommended

You are welcome.  Thank you for the additional information.

I am sorry about the discrepency.  I wasn't aware that your computer came with the discrete video card installed.  This is why the ports are blanked.  You can't use integrated video and a discrete card together.

You can use either port that is open.  However, they are both digital and VGA is analog.  Therefore, you won't get the best picture possible,  If it were me, I would use HDMI and leave the DP port open for other digital peripherals.

HP Recommended

I now have a better picture of my options. My monitor does have a DVI-D connector. So I could do the following:

- Use the HDMI port

- Buy and use a HDMI to DVI-D adapter

- Buy a DVI-D cable to connect to the monitor

Would this be the way to get the best video output ? Also, is it okay to attach 1st monitor via VGA (current monitor) and the 2nd monitor via DVI ?

I also read about a USB 3.0 to VGA adaptor that I can buy and use with the VGA cable that came with the monitor.

Would this also be a good solution ?

I appreciate your help. Wanted to be informed about the best solution before I buy the adapter/cable.

Thanks.

Follow-up:

Dual monitor works now.

1st is attached DVI to VGA using DVI to VGA adapter and VGA to VGA cable

2nd is attached HDMI to DVI-D using a HDMI to DVI cable

The 2 monitors are extensions of one another

There is so much screen space, perfect.

HP Recommended

You are very welcome.

If there is a DVI-D port on your second monitor a cable without an adapter is most definitely the way to go.

StarTech has a USB 3.0 video adapter.  You can use their Chat Live option to speak to one of their Techs.  They will actually be able to tell you which is your best option.  However, any of the options that you mentioned would work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.