Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion desktop 590 p0024
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased the HP Pavilion desktop 590 p0024 (AMD Ryzen 3 2200G with Radeon Vega Graphics 3.5 Ghz;  Windows 10), and connected my monitor via HDMI.  This worked well, and I wanted to connect my second monitor via VGA, as I had done with my old Dell desktop.  This configuration does not work, and I'm not sure if it is possible, or if I would need to purchase a GPU card.  I could get VGA working, but then the HDMI monitor doesn't work.

1) Can this configuration (hdmi AND vga) be made to work?

2) If not, can I purchase a cheap GPU card to get a second monitor to work.  I only occasionally need the second monitor, but it would be nice to have it, and image quality is not that important to me.  It is not worth it to me  to spend big bucks to get it.

Thanks,

ScottE

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@scotte34,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I checked the specifications of your computer and both the ports should work and you should be able to connect two monitors (one VGA and one HDMI).

I recommend you update the BIOS and the graphic driver from the below link and check if it helps.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Follow the steps in the below article to update the BIOS.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00007682

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks The_Fossette.  I ran the HP Assistant and made sure everything was up to date (and rebooted even though I don't think anything relevant was updated).  It didn't detect needing a Bios update.  My BIOS is dated (F31) 05/09/2019 which is either today or last May.  On the website it was showing the latest as 05/14/2019.. possibly a newer BIOS?  Wasn't sure a 5 day newer BIOS would make a difference, especially when the HP Assistant didn't detect it.  It appears as if I can have either one or the other, but not both.

HP Recommended

@scotte34,

I recommend you download and install the latest BIOS available on the HP website and check.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Latest Bios installed.  Still have the same issue.  Anything else that can be tried?

HP Recommended

@scotte34,

I recommend you perform a system test on the computer to make sure all the hardware components are working fine.

Follow the steps in the below article to perform a system test.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04499777

If the hardware test pass, then performs a reset on the computer following the steps in the below article.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04742289

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The_Fossette,

The hardware check turned out fine. I won't reload windows - I won't risk any loaded software/data that I have on my drive.  I think what you are telling me is that this configuration does not work.  I believe the VGA is being phased out, so most likely the motherboard does not support both.  I'd like to leave this question open though in case someone is aware of an easy/inexpensive way to get dual monitors working.

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

@scotte34

Feel free to contact us in future if you need any assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks Sandytechy20.  I'd love to find out if I can install an inexpensive card.  I'm just not sure if it is a matter of opening it up and sticking a GPU card in.

HP Recommended

@scotte34

You can upgrade to any GPU of his choice as long as the PSU consumption isn't higher than the PSU he currently has as per the specs in this link:  Click here

Disclaimer :- (As an upgrade/custom enthusiast I personally love the idea of upgrading the device as well, However, HP recommends that you go easy on it as the device is equipped with parts that perform at its optimal performance and also, the upgradeable parts listed above are purely for your ease, though the decision to upgrade will be at your own discretion)

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.