Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elite Slice G1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

We have purchased 2 Elite Slice G1 computers with the matching HP Business S240uj monitor.   On neither computer can we get the usb-c video to work with the monitor.  The Usb-c does power the computer and carry the USB signals, and the monitor says its connected to usb-c video, but here is no signal available.  The computer works with an HDMI cable.  How do we get the usb-c video to work so we can get rid of the HDMI cable.  And these computer are sold on the HP site as needing only the usb-c cable to connect to the monitor, so keeping the HDMI cable is a poor solution.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Our school received a grant for 46 Elite Slice and EliteDisplay S240uj and we have 12-15 exhibiting the problem of USB-C video is "Connected" but never "Active" (showing an actual image from the Slite unit).  We discovered that apparently the EliteDisplay can tell if a cable is connected to it, but it isn't necessiarly saying anything is on the other end of said cable.

One monitor would not power the Slice at all, so we replaced that and that unit started working as expected.  I still think all of the problems are with the Slice, not with the S240uj display.  Moving the Slice to another monitor usually didn't change the results.  Connecting the USB-C cable upside down or mixed (with the "SS" symbol up or down) up in the monitor and down in the Slice sometimes worked.

We have had luck with all but one of the Slice units by installing, in Windows 10 Pro, the latest BIOS and video drivers.  The video drivers we are using are in the sp78849, http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp78501-79000/sp78849.exe  The bios is being updated to 2.07 from 2.02.  The trick was getting the unit to work the one time so we could get the drivers updated and usually they would work after that.  No 100% guarntee that USB-C is going to work one hour to the next, but we get much better results with these updates.

The Slice units always work great with external power, DP or HDMI video, and no USB-C connectors involved.  You lose all of the asthetics, but get functionality.  If HP meant for the Slices to be functional with the S240uj displays, the would have included a spot for the EliteSlice VESA mount add-on to further clean up the desktop.

HP Recommended

Thank-you.  We experienced the same thing with needing USB-C to just work once.  The USB-C video eventually went active, apparently on its own.  We had not recently changed any settings on the Slice, having given up previously trying to get USB-C switched on.   But when I noticed the monitor said USB-C was active I unplugged the HDMI cable and all was good.   This happened on both of our computers.

HP Recommended

I am running an HP Elite Slice with the HP recommended S240uj charging monitor. When I plug the slice into the monitor's USB-C port via a USB-C 3.1 cable and try to power on, nothing happens. The power light on the slice simply flashes 3 times red, then 4 times white. The cable and HP monitor are both said to deliver the 60W of power the slice calls for...

Per the previous forum post I updated the BIOS to the latest version and tried powering on again via USB-C. Still just the 3 red flashing lights then the 4 white flashing lights. 

I am wondering if it is possible to achieve the single USB-C power/video/audio to the slice and monitor that HP advertises or not? This is why I bought the slice and S240uj monitor. 

HP Recommended

We had to give up on using USB-C based video.  We have had good success just using the USB-C for power through the monitor and using a DisplayPort cable for video.  The USB-C also enables the USB ports on the monitor, which we do use.  We have had none of the issues with this setup that we had encountered with the USB-C trying to also deliver video.  At least we have one less power brick sitting under the desks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.