Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
COMPAQ CQ 5700F
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Dear Friends, trust this finds you well.
The purchase date was May 27, 2011 on or about. I've never replaced the CMOS battery.
This morning when I first booted my desktop computer the screen turned on and said "Entering power saver mode" 
I unplugged the computer from the AC I held the power button down for about 10 seconds and I also removed and replaced the VGA cable with a new one .

At one point I removed the CMOS battery to check the voltage which measured 3 V however it is an old battery. Replaced it with the same battery and rebooted the computer there was no change.
Next, I removed one memory stick and it started to boot to Windows. I replaced the memory stick and now when I Boot the computer I get one short beep and one long beep and it just keeps repeating the same beeps over and over.
All the cables and connectors seem to be in place inside the box there is no excess dirt or dust.
Please note I do not recall the exact sequence of the steps I took to where I am now.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
Best, Ralph

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

hi

maybe

1 short beep and 1 long beep
Memory problem

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02222922

if you have two memory modules you must test one then the other alone

otherwise replace it at the risk that it does not change anything

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Thank you...
Model  HP Compaq Presario CQ5700F. P/N BV516AA#AB. Not sure why you need a P/N number?
I've removed both Memory sticks and unplugged the desktop>pushed the power button 10 seconds. Disconnected the Keyboard, wireless mouse adapter and wireless Netgear WiFi Adapter N300/ WNA3100M-100ENS.
I'm going to replace the CMOS very carefully.
Further thoughts or suggestions welcomed!
1 short beep and 1 long beep the keeps repeating perhaps I haven't waited long enough??!

Best, Raphael

HP Recommended

Sorry my english is very bad

I've removed both Memory sticks and unplugged the desktop>pushed the power button 10 seconds.

I said you have to try one module only

And if always same beep try the other module , try different slot

module 1 >try slot 1

module 1 >try slot 2

module 2 >try slot 1

module 2 >try slot 2

I need serial to find the pc

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/compaq-presario-cq5700-desktop-pc-series/5035292/model/5051496?...

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Okay!

Thats the correct model.
It came with 2GB memory and I added 2 more 2GB sticks so it has 4 GB total now and its been that way for several years and worked well. NO! signs of it failing in any other ways other than this current issue.

I turned off and unplugged the computer and removed one of the two sticks. Plugged it back in and pushed the power on button and it started to Boot into Windows with only one stick = 2GB. When I added the other one back in again..I think that is when it started to beeping. I do not see the Hard drive light blinking just the blue power on light. The only time the blinking  orange hard drive light came on since this all started was when one of the two sticks were removed.

When I try these different combinations of slots/modules. DO I NEED to power the Desktop On/Off each time using the Power button? OTHER then powering it off by holding in the power button I'd have to UNPLUG it every time

I cannot recall the EXACT order all these steps were made..I'm sorry I should of been more careful.

There are only Two slots not  Four.

Thanks again,
Raphael

HP Recommended

No Good new to report...
Hit a stone wall!
🤕

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.