Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x360 - (13-s150sa) Energy Star
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I've had my HP Pavilion x360 - 13-s150sa (ENERGY STAR) for just over two years, but within the past week I've started getting flashing white circles on the right side of the screen, usually towards the top right corner, which affects the cursor and makes everything pretty uncontrollable. The response to a previous post concerning this says:

The flashing circles indicate that a program is refreshing or updating. The only way to resolve this concern is by knowing which program is not responding or taking time. Recommend you to open task manager by doing a right click on the taskbar on the bottom. 

Once you have the task manager open, you can check for the processes which are not responding or utilizing a lot of resources. 

Whichever program or process you don't use or require, you can disable or end the process. 

To remove it from the startup items so that they don't start automatically, you can click on the startup tab available in the task manager and disable it. 

In my case, the flashing white circles have appeared having just booted up so there's nothing on Task Manager to disable. In this instance, I rebooted and it was fine, but then the circles start up at random. The circles tend to appear when I'm on  Mircosoft Edge. I have tried the Task Manager solution to disable MS Edge and sometimes it helps, sometimes not. The point is, the circles appear and disappear pretty much at random. 

Any ideas?

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @RDE1,

Thanks for reaching out to the HP community. After reading your post I see that you need assistance regarding random flashing white circles on the screen.. It will be a delight to assist you here.

Superb analysis and brilliant diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you on that score. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this:

• Did you check if the circles flash in the bios?
  • Did you connect an external monitor and check if the external monitor also flashes?

For now, try these steps:

Please check if the screen has these flashing circles in the bios.

• Keep tapping the Esc key gently several times as soon as you power on the computer.
  • It takes you to the startup menu.
  • Then press the F10 key to go the bios.
  • Please leave the screen in the bios for a few hours and check if these flashing circles appear.
  • Then press F9 key to load setup defaults and select yes and push “enter.”
  • Then press F10 to save changes and exit and reboot to windows.

If it flashes in the bios also, then the issue could be hardware related and the computer needs to be serviced by contacting HP support. I am being honest about it by without beating around the bush.If you cannot make this out in the bios, simply use an HDMI cable to connect the computer to a TV and check if the flashing circles appear. If they don’t then the issue is with the actual screen of the notebook that has to be fixed by contacting HP support.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://hp.care/2r9wSvP

• Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.
  • Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.
  • Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.
  • Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If the unit is under warranty, the manufacturer’s warranty should take care of it for you.

If the screen flashes on the external display also then perform these steps of uninstalling and updating the drivers.

• Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand display adapters>then select the display drivers that are listed and right-click on it and uninstall the drivers.
  • Check the box that states delete the software for this device.
  • Then restart the computer and update the bios chipset and graphics drivers from this link: http://hp.care/2DsQcqS Now check for issue resolution.
  • If it continues, then run a scan for malware and viruses also.
  • Reset Edge and check again.
  • If the problem persists, then try another Browser like Chrome or Firefox.

If the issue still continues, then create a new local user account as an administrator from this link: http://hp.care/2rZfJBC   and check if the issue gets fixed. This should do the trick for you.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. Going by your technical expertise and competence I am sure you will be able to perform these steps without breaking a sweat. 🙂

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.