Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
zBook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I plugged in my usb-c cable that is more than sufficient to charge and complete the data transfer I got the following error:

USB-C

Caution - An unqualitifed USB-C cable 
has been detected.
Please use a qualified HP USB-C cable
supported by this monitor to ensure the
best performance.

The displays where correctly displaying but the laptop wasn't charging. After an age of googling I couldn't find a solution. I was on this forum and the answers where usually the cable wasn't good enough to transfer enough power or data. 

I tried one last thing as a last ditch effort: I turned off the warning message in the monitor itself.

I went to the menu settings on the monitor and removed the warning message:

Menu Control -> OSD Messages -> Untick Non-HP Cable Warrnings

Immediately the monitor reset and charging worked. I reproduced it several times, so it seems HP disable the charge feature and who knows what else when a non-HP cable is used without giving you any information on it. They also don't tell you the Non-HP warning actually DISABLED a feature!

I think this is extremely anti-consumer and really shady from the company!

I can understand that they may want to remove the feature, however I could only understand if they said we have disabled x, y, z feature due to having a Non-HP cable, by going to area x you can enable the feature but do so at your own risk. They never tell you they've done this and give you no clue to what the issue is. Forcing you to buy a new cable from them!

I created an account just to post this, in the hopes it saves people 2 hours of their time and saves people being forced to buy a cable from HP for NO REASON.
Shame on you HP.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

I sympathies with you.  I was suckered into that Apply iPhone update scam and upgraded my iPhone as the battery was no longer charging as fast as it use to  I got a letter from the class action lawsuit but I could not find proof that I upgraded my phones during the time frame required.  I suspect only the lawyers make any money on suits like these.  Apple did learn a lesson.  

Several years ago HP maintained a list of "blessed" Wi-Fi adapters and only those would work in their laptops.  They no longer do that but many of those laptops are still being used.

[edit]  Need to give a warning - If the laptop is damaged and you take it in for warrantee repair the "battery report" will provide info that a non hp charging cable was used.  You might want to consider getting a "blessed" cable.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.