Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Phoenix Desktop - 860-091na (ENERGY STAR)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello 

Im having problems with getting my gaming PC to display through its graphics card, ive done some troubleshooting of my own as im fairly good with computers but not good enough to be considered a expert and fix problems. Ill go through the problem and then what ive done to help anyone better understand the problem.

Issue - So last night i put my PC into sleep mode and went to bed, in the morning i then woke the pc up and it booted up correctly with its lights on however i had no picture on my monitor.

Details of my investigation -

1. First i tried to reset the computer but it didnt help.

2. From the HP support software i did as it reccomended and held (windows key + B) at start up and it beeped but nothing else.

3. I tried to connect it to a different screen with a different cable and again it didnt work.

4. I connected my PC to my motherboards HDMI and it worked however i cant use the onboard graphics for my gaming PC

5. Going into device manager the Nvidia 980ti in the display menu was only visable when showing hidden divices and saying that it was no longer connected to the PC.

6. I thought it might be the drivers so i uninstalled my Nvidia graphics driver and downloaded it from the official site however during installation it said it couldnt detect any compatible hardware. (this has also made the graphics card disappear from device manager now)

7. I opened up my computer and checked if the graphics card had power and it had its lights on so it must be getting power.

Thats as best details as i can give right now but i hope people can help me out here as im stuck till monday without my gaming computer which isnt great when i do work in the gaming industry. On monday i can phone HP support as i still have warranty but it might even need sent away which means even longer so any help would be a miricle for me right now. To me it seems like my graphics card is either broken or my computer just isnt detecting it anymore.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Fyn

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

It sounds like a hardware problem.

One additional thing you could do is:

You are in warranty so you may not want to do this. It may be best to let HP replace the graphics card (GPU) if the GPU has failed or replace the motherboard if there is a problem with the motherboard.

Shut down, disconnect from AC power.

Depress the power switch to drain residual power from the motherboard (MB).

Unplug everything connected to the PC's rear or front/top I/O.

Work in a ESD free area, handle all components by the edges, or use a anti-static wrist strap when doing the following:

Remove the side panel. Disconnect supplemental PCIe power to the GPU. Depress the retention lever on the x16 slot before removing or reinstalling the GPU or you may break the slot or damage the card. Remove the GPU and then reseat the GPU in the x16 slot on the MB.

Connect supplemental PCIe power to the GPU.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.