Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Try pressing the space bar to get it out of the sleep mode. Mine was doing the same thing and pressing the space bar was the only thing that would wake it up again.
HP Recommended

Hi, I got the HP 2159m from a friend and I'm trying to test it, I connect it with my laptop by HDMI cable, the screen start at the beginning but after some seconds it sleep and none of the bottom work, although the audio is connected and work.

when I try to change the setting in the laptop the screen turn on/off with each change and the image appear and go after 3 seconds

Is it something wrong with screen or with the software?

HP Recommended

HI all:

Thank you for your inquiry.

There are multiple possibilities for the monitor not waking after a sleep.

1. Video driver needs updating. Go to the manufacturer's web site for the latest driver.

2. PC bios - Many of the bios updates deal with fan, thermal and sleep mode issues.

3. Reseat the video card

Please refer to Big Dave's above post, re April 11,2010

I am sending you a link to "Setting up your Monitor" click here. I am  also sending "Solve a problem HP 2159m  monitor" click here.

You can run the hp support assistant click here to help you update the drivers.

If you require further assistance please reply back.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

It is an old post but I will also chime in:

Had two of these monitors on an older Vista system (never any issues there).  Moved them to a brand new Dell XPS8700 with Radeon R9 200 graphics board, Win 8.1 64b 

MOST of the time, no problem.  Occasionally however when returning from monitor sleep AND computer sleep (like first thing in morning) the primary display just has black screen. 

Amazingly, even the monitor power off/on button fails to respond.  I just unplug the power cable in back of the monitor and replug and everything works again OK.

BIOS and graphics drivers are most current.  Right now I had to say this is a driver issue that needs a fix.

HP Recommended

Sorry to "necro" this post, but I seem to be having a slightly different issue from what I can find through searching the web and the various HP forums (Please let me know if you'd prefer I submit this in another thread).

My issue seems to be only when connected to my HP2159M via HDMI. No other display cable types (VGA/DVI/etc.) are connected -- only the single HDMI cable running from my vid card to the back of the monitor.

For a while, it seemed to be working well, with the monitor auto-detecting the HDMI input as it was the only connected cable that was therefore providing any sort of source signal.

Since those "good ol' days" when I got my new video card maybe 4-6 mos. ago, all of a sudden, the monitor started arbitrarily picking other source types like VGA and DVI without even checking if there was a signal provided through HDMI. I tried all the steps of changing the default source to HDMI, trying that with both "auto-switch source" or whatever it's called both ON and OFF, just to see if that was somehow bugged, then did a factory reset and did the same things.

I also tried another solution I saw on here in which you unplug the monitor (some variations also have you pull the HDMI cable out) and, while the monitor is powered off, depress the monitor's Power button for 60sec or more, afterward plugging everything back in. Still no luck there, even when I tried the previous steps of setting default source, etc. etc.

Another notable difference between my issue and others' issues is that, to pull signal from my HDMI cable, I simply have to hit the "Source" button on the monitor and select "HDMI" *every* time I power the monitor on. After I manually tell the monitor I want it to use the HDMI-in (the only cable plugged in anyway), it's happy until the next time I power the monitor off. It's literally EVERY time I power the monitor on that I have to do this. So in my mind, it seems that the signal is being sent OK from the video card and it's not a seating issue, but I'm curious to (hopefully) get someone's thoughts on this.

If not, I took my chances by resurrecting an older thread, but figured it was worth a shot. Thank you to any/everyone who might have input on this.

Thanks a ton,

Rob

HP Recommended

Hello, my problem is similar except that I can see that monitor wakes back up because there is a small border around the outside of the black screen that is displaying the output of my PC.  Has anyone seen this behavour and come up with a fix?

Thanks! 

HP Recommended

I have had the same problem and recently discovered that I can unplug the monitor power cord and plug it back the monitor awakes.  Still can't figure out hoew to correct this

HP Recommended

Hi @TonyG4,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you are facing issues with your HP 2159m 21.5-inch Diagonal Full HD LCD Monitor wherein it unit does not wake up from sleep mode and you need to restart the computer.

Let's go through a few steps that may help to fix this issue. 

And here are a few steps listed below: 

1. In Windows, search for and open the Device Manager. 

2. Click the arrow next to Keyboards and double-click the name of your keyboard. 

3. If the Power Management tab is available, proceed to the next step. 

If the Power Management tab is not available, click the Change Settings button if it appears below the Device status box. The same Keyboard Properties window opens with the Power Management tab available. 

If you are prompted for an Administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. 

1. Click the Power Management tab and make sure that the box next to Allow this device to wake the computer is checked. 

2. Click OK, and then test to make sure that the keyboard can now wake the computer. 

You may also check the link: Sleep and Hibernate Issues (Windows 10, 😎

Let me know how this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Hi Rainbow 23, I don't let my computer go to sleep.  When I sign out I turn off the monitor but leave the computer running during the day.  When I turn the monitor back on, it will not wake even though the computer is still running.  When I unplug the monitor power cord and plug it back in, it will wake most of the time otherwise I have to turn off the computer and reboot

HP Recommended

Hi @TonyG4,

Thank you for your reply, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you only turn off the monitor, still the computer will not wake up when you turn on the monitor.

This issue could occur if the bios is not updated.

In order to update the bios, please let us know the model number of the tower and the operating system installed on the computer by checking the links below: 

1. Product Model Number

2. Windows Operating System

3. Mac Operating System is installed 

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.